Author Topic: PCB burns completely through, parts fall off.......fuse blackened, but intact!  (Read 756 times)

Offline IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Full time EE & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
Hi all,

Not my video, but I thought it worth sharing................

Power supply PCB burns completely through, fire & smoke, parts fall off, solder drips off PCB, outside of case starts to melt.......the internal fuse is blackened.............but intact!

Ian.

Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website - www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Online Psi

• Super Contributor
Common misconception that a fuse should have blown if there was so much current flowing that the circuit caught on fire.
Fuses protect from massive over-currents, like short circuits, they don't know where all the energy is going.
Is 10W going into a 10W heatsinked IC or into one tiny spot on the PCB.

The typical current draw of a circuit is usually plenty large enough to start a fire if focused in one spot instead of going where it's supposed to go,

Example 10 ohm 1/4W resistor.
5V into 10R = 0.5A
5V * 0.5A = 2.5W 

2.5W into a 0.25W resistor and you're going to get fire, but 0.5A is not much current at all when considering fuse values. 
It's made worse when the thing that catches on fire is made of something oil filled or flammable.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 11:26:39 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf