Author Topic: Restoration or Parts Teardown- You Decide! [Sonizon SO-100]  (Read 1108 times)

Offline johnlsenchakTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • js@antihotmail.com
    • paypal.me/johnsenchak
Mr Carlson's Lab
Published on Jul 2, 2019
Here is an Interesting electronic device, lets look inside and determine whether to restore it, or use

Posted on  07/02/2019
John Senchak "Daytona  Beach  Florida "
 jls (at)  antihotmail.com   http://www.antihotmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/john.senchak.1

Offline chris_leyson

• Super Contributor
Re: Restoration or Parts Teardown- You Decide! [Sonizon SO-100]
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 04:54:44 pm »
It's a unique piece of history and I think it should be restored. At first I thought it would use pulsed ultrasound to measure metal thickness, as is frequently done nowadays, but that would necessitate a lot of complexity. It's obvious that they used swept CW ultrasound and the motor driven variable tuning cap is a big clue.

So how do you measure metal thickness using swept CW ultrasound ? Imagine the material as a quarter wave open circuit transmision line then at some frequency it will look like a short and at the transmitter end and you can detect that as a sharp null response.

For example, say you have a piece of stainless steel about 1/16" thick and you do a sweep and see a dip at 1MHz. At 1MHz a quarter wave will correspond to a 250ns delay and because ultrasound propogates through stainless steel at 5800 m/s then in 250ns it will traveled 1.45mm.

You would probably only need a single PZT transducer and you can find the 1/4 wave nulls using a VSWR detector or even simpler, just detect the transmitted amplitude. EDIT: I forgot to add that you would also have to compensate for the line length somehow.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 08:00:19 pm by chris_leyson »

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 12:04:49 am »
Stunning mechanical quality of the  spinner :-+
Can you imagine how precisely balanced the cap +motor assembly should be...
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline wintech

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 07:22:33 pm »
Really nice! :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf