Author Topic: Quik Fix - A first class bodge repair of an LG OLED65E7V  (Read 1791 times)

Offline FixOrBustTopic starter

Quik Fix - A first class bodge repair of an LG OLED65E7V
« on: March 22, 2021, 08:10:19 pm »
Hello Finland friends!

There's something oddly satisfying about repairing expensive stuff using hillbilly methods. And equally satisfying to get over the second video threshold!
I hope you enjoy it, and I'd love to see pictures of your own favourite bodges in the thread.

Best regards

Alec
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 12:23:23 am by FixOrBust »

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Re: Quik Fix - A first class bodge repair of an LG OLED65E7V
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 08:52:17 pm »
1 year warranty on a $3,000 TV, crazy.

Whats with the silicone coating on some of the ICs? Are they worried about dust and high voltage?
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 09:57:08 pm »
Two years, that's regulated in law. Very few companies offer anything better than that, and especially not any manufacturer of consumer goods. But as I tried to explain, a consumer here has the right to expect a product to last longer than that. The difference is, after the two year period, the consumer is obligated to prove that there was a fault in the product not caused by wear, misuse etc. Hardly anyone ever does. During the two year warranty, the opposite applies. The manufacturer has in theory the right to try to prove that you caused the fault, but that rarely happens unless there's something obvious.

I can't see how it would be because of HV, since there are exposed mains traces everywhere. Moisture (and dust) ingress? Could it act as a heat spreader to nearby copper fills, or would it be less efficient than just leaving them open to the air?

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 10:13:15 pm »
Two years, that's regulated in law. Very few companies offer anything better than that, and especially not any manufacturer of consumer goods. But as I tried to explain, a consumer here has the right to expect a product to last longer than that. The difference is, after the two year period, the consumer is obligated to prove that there was a fault in the product not caused by wear, misuse etc. Hardly anyone ever does. During the two year warranty, the opposite applies. The manufacturer has in theory the right to try to prove that you caused the fault, but that rarely happens unless there's something obvious.

I can't see how it would be because of HV, since there are exposed mains traces everywhere. Moisture (and dust) ingress? Could it act as a heat spreader to nearby copper fills, or would it be less efficient than just leaving them open to the air?

Yeah, it seems quite reasonable how you explained it.
The 1yr warranty would have been for me in NA, where we don't have these sort of laws.

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2021, 10:54:43 pm »
Yeah, it seems quite reasonable how you explained it.
The 1yr warranty would have been for me in NA, where we don't have these sort of laws.
Had lots of gear go bang after 366 days? It's been a few two years and something for me over the years.

Do you have any sort of regulation after the warranty expires, or is it up to the goodwill of the individual manufacturer or retailer?

I remember when I was in school (studio tech), there was a lot of talk about Bryston Amplifiers and that they offered a 20 year transferrable warranty. Seems to still be the case, https://bryston.com/service-and-warranty/. That's more like it!

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 09:53:41 pm »
Had lots of gear go bang after 366 days? It's been a few two years and something for me over the years.

Do you have any sort of regulation after the warranty expires, or is it up to the goodwill of the individual manufacturer or retailer?

I remember when I was in school (studio tech), there was a lot of talk about Bryston Amplifiers and that they offered a 20 year transferrable warranty. Seems to still be the case, https://bryston.com/service-and-warranty/. That's more like it!

Yes commonly with fridge/washing machines/etc.
Apparently we have laws to allow a "reasonable length" of operational life. But you'd have to go to court and argue your side, not something I've heard anyone doing.

When they sell a CD player for $3,000, I'm not too surprised they can toss in a lifetime warranty :D

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 12:21:44 am »
Yeah, CD, I've heard it's really beginning to catch on!

Ah but man did we drool over those 28B monoblocks, just $50k for a stereo setup. Apparently one of the few very high power amps that have been deemed undetectable in quite rigorous blind listening before/after tests performed by the Swedish LTS (Sound Technical Society). The school was quite tightly interconnected with them. But there are MUCH cheaper alternatives, if you're into that sort of thing!

/A

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf