Author Topic: Repair: Illuminating the LED Bulb SCAM  (Read 4023 times)

Offline cpuerrorTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Repair: Illuminating the LED Bulb SCAM
« on: October 18, 2021, 11:42:22 am »
I dig in and find out why these supposedly environmental products "mysteriously" fail well before their advertised lifetime.

Online Psi

• Super Contributor
Re: Repair: Illuminating the LED Bulb SCAM
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 12:06:41 pm »
i don't even have to watch the video to know why, they design the driver to run way to hot.
Either a bridge diode fails or the cap gets slowly cooked until the switchmode has no filtering.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 12:44:02 pm »
i don't even have to watch the video to know why, they design the driver to run way to hot.
Either a bridge diode fails or the cap gets slowly cooked until the switchmode has no filtering.
To make matters worse, going by the lack of an inductor, the power supply shown in the YouTube thumbnail, is linear, not switching.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 02:24:56 pm by Zero999 »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2021, 01:49:03 pm »
Yup, non-existing thermal management for the driver. You can call it also planned obsolescence, AKA "let's cook the driver". The LEDs might last 30kh, but not the driver. And we end up with even more e-waste. :-- Looks like we need some regulation to discourage manufacturers from producing that junk.

Online Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 11:11:15 pm »
Yeah, we badly need enforced laws to prevent companies claims "50,000 hours" on their LED bulbs unless it's actually true.
They state the LED diode life but then design a driver to work for 1000-2000 hours.

This is why I'm slowly updating rooms in the house to use recessed LED stripe lighting.
At least with that you can run the lighting it at whatever brightness you desire to keep the heat acceptable, and the driver is separate so easily replicable.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 11:13:29 pm by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2021, 08:59:23 am »
I'm also a heavy user of LED strips.

Offline cpuerrorTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2021, 06:37:43 pm »
it's amazing how long they have been getting away with it, but I suppose the grift is small enough and has been going on for so long that it has escaped regulators. And really, how often do people claim the warranty? Noma could easily demand receipts, that you ship the bulbs back to the manufacturer, and then they can pro rate it and offer a 25% discount or something on the next purchase of identical lights. They make it so it makes no economical sense to do anything other than chuck them at EOL.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf