EEVblog > Other Blogs

Voltlog #211 - Joulescope DC Energy Analyzer Review & Teardown

(1/2) > >>

johnlsenchak:

Voltlog #211 - Joulescope DC Energy Analyzer Review & Teardown
VoltLog
Published on Feb 25, 2019
The Joulescope is a low cost precision dc energy analyser which is currently on kickstarter so check the links below.

Posted  02/26/2019   Duplicate Post   turned  it into a new post  Sorry for the mistake

David Hess:
Precision but no accuracy or noise specifications?

coppice:

--- Quote from: David Hess on February 26, 2019, 04:49:08 pm ---Precision but no accuracy or noise specifications?

--- End quote ---
I don't think they have specified the noise performance, but the accuracy is shown in both the above video and the manual.

coppice:
There is a real need for a good tool of this type when developing ULP applications, but this one seems to have serious limitations that limit its value. The endlessly changing supply impedance is going to be really troublesome in a lot of designs, and the sampling is too slow to follow the true consumption of interrupt routines that only last for 1 or 2 microseconds of high consumption out of sleep mode. These are the kinds of limitations which lead TI to develop their MSP430/MSP432 tools, which feed metered shots of energy into the power supply. This gives poor accuracy in seeing exactly when the current demand goes up and down, but it solves the dynamic range issues in measuring the consumed energy with decent precision.

splin:
It would be interesting to know what the ADCs, U22 and U26, are. I had a quick look on Digikey but the closest parts in 6 pin packages I could find are 12 bit 3MSPS parts. I wonder why there are two - interleaved perhaps?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version