Author Topic: Tutorial on Theory, Characterization & Measurement Techniques of Phase Noise  (Read 2353 times)

Offline HugoneusTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Signal Path Video Blog
You can watch the video here: [53 Minutes]

youtu.be/SOHjFtw0sgo

The following users thanked this post: AlfBaz, ivaylo, jaromir, blueskull, nano

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
More please!

With all that kit you have in your lab you have the opportunity to demonstrate things that most of us have only read about in books.

The length of the phase noise video was OK and the technical content was about right. The audio quality was VERY good, slightly clipped with just the right bandwidth.My only problem is that you talk a little too fast and not all of us have English as our first language. Sometimes I had to rewind a passage until I understood it.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
More please!

With all that kit you have in your lab you have the opportunity to demonstrate things that most of us have only read about in books.

The length of the phase noise video was OK and the technical content was about right. The audio quality was VERY good, slightly clipped with just the right bandwidth.My only problem is that you talk a little too fast and not all of us have English as our first language. Sometimes I had to rewind a passage until I understood it.

I don't think he talks that fast. It can become annoying for others when someone talks slowly. Maybe the adjust playback speed feature on youtube will work for you as it can slow down the video and maintain correct pitch in the audio.

Offline YetAnotherTechie

• Regular Contributor
Can the cross correlation technique be implemented with two separate and different spectrum analyzers, and some matlab code of the captured signal? or does the signal have to be captured at the exact same time by the two then processed? I have a CMU200 and a FSEM21 spectrum analyzer available and don't mind waiting...

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
Don't think it would work as the signal of interest must be split and experience almost exactly the same path channel characteristics. Delays, time skew, amplitude and phase characteristics need to be identical for the cross-correlation to work. Any variation would appear uncorrelated and tend to average out along with each channel phase noise, and not contribute to the eventual "signal" growth during averaging.

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

The following users thanked this post: YetAnotherTechie

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
It would be interesting to try in practice how well one can calibrate against skew, amplitude, phase, etc. types of differences that exist between the two paths of the signal (talking about the setup used in the cross correlation method shown at minute 35:35 in the video).

Intuition tells me that the most important would be the stability of the parameters.  If the differences (between the two paths of the signal) are stable in time, then it might be possible to identify the exact values of those differences (at calibration time, like it is done for example in a VNA calibration) then apply corrections to the sampled signal.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf