EEVblog > Other Blogs

Video Teardown & Experiements with LeCroy's 100GHz, 240GS/s Scope

<< < (13/15) > >>

Hugoneus:
There are some other practical problems in terms of getting signals into the instrument as well. 1mm connectors are rated to 110GHz, above that Anritsu has proprietary 0.9 ~ 0.8mm connectors up to 140GHz. After that, you are no longer in coax, you are in waveguide which of course is banded...

Regardless, electro-optics don't have 100GHz bandwidth yet.

rx8pilot:
What is the target audience or field for an instrument like this? What kind of advantage would it offer to justify the enormous effort/price. If someone had a 66Ghz scope and they stumble across this thing, how likely would they say - "I NEED that or a just cannot continue with this project"?

vaualbus:

--- Quote from: Hugoneus on February 13, 2015, 06:57:57 pm ---There are some other practical problems in terms of getting signals into the instrument as well. 1mm connectors are rated to 110GHz, above that Anritsu has proprietary 0.9 ~ 0.8mm connectors up to 140GHz. After that, you are no longer in coax, you are in waveguide which of course is banded...

Regardless, electro-optics don't have 100GHz bandwidth yet.

--- End quote ---

I have recently read a document from aritsu I think about connector and the feature.
http://downloadfile.anritsu.com/RefFiles/ja-JP/About-Anritsu/R_D/Technical/89/89_07.pdf
So they're developing a 0.8 connector able to reach 140Ghz. It is a interest reading by the way for someone that really haven't work and studied this type of rf stuff (rf? microwave would be a better term). 

Terabyte2007:

--- Quote from: rx8pilot on February 13, 2015, 07:32:46 pm ---What is the target audience or field for an instrument like this? What kind of advantage would it offer to justify the enormous effort/price. If someone had a 66Ghz scope and they stumble across this thing, how likely would they say - "I NEED that or a just cannot continue with this project"?

--- End quote ---

I would have to agree with you. The first thing that came to mind was the niche market for a scope like this. Although the video was very cool and informative the practicality of a scope of this magnitude would be limited to very few corporations. I wonder what the calibration cycle is and how much they charge?  ;D

BTW, does anyone know what they are selling this beast for? I probably don't want to know.

Hugoneus:

--- Quote from: Terabyte2007 on February 14, 2015, 12:26:59 am ---
--- Quote from: rx8pilot on February 13, 2015, 07:32:46 pm ---What is the target audience or field for an instrument like this? What kind of advantage would it offer to justify the enormous effort/price. If someone had a 66Ghz scope and they stumble across this thing, how likely would they say - "I NEED that or a just cannot continue with this project"?

--- End quote ---
I would have to agree with you. The first thing that came to mind was the niche market for a scope like this. Although the video was very cool and informative the practicality of a scope of this magnitude would be limited to very few corporations. I wonder what the calibration cycle is and how much they charge?  ;D
BTW, does anyone know what they are selling this beast for? I probably don't want to know.

--- End quote ---

It is $1 million dollars.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version