Author Topic: Vintage Collins KWM-2 shipping damage  (Read 6107 times)

Offline Radio TechTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
Vintage Collins KWM-2 shipping damage
« on: October 08, 2015, 01:17:08 am »
In this video we have a quick look at vintage Collins transceiver. This unit was damaged in shipping due to poor packaging. But this one will live and should be back to original shape before long.  VFO shaft was damaged along with the front panel bezel; the bezel holds the VFO knob in place. Proper packaging is a must when shipping anything of value. I really hate seeing equipment of this caliber damaged due to poor packaging let alone with shipping companies can do to a proper packed unit.

Specs :
http://www.collinsradio.org/cca-collins-historical-archives/the-equipment-of-collins-radio/the-grey-boxes/kwm-22a-transceiver/

This radio is not  the  "Round Emblem" version and  is over 50 years old

« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 01:41:50 am by Radio Tech »

Offline voltlog

• Regular Contributor
    • VoltLog
Re: Vintage Collins KWM-2 shipping damage
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 08:29:16 am »
Other than mentioned VFO knob damage it looks to be in pretty good condition for the age.
And yes, I always fear shipping anything of value, especially oversea. Luckily, so far, everything I got was very well packaged.
Good luck restoring the radio.

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 09:21:14 am »
Other than mentioned VFO knob damage it looks to be in pretty good condition for the age.
And yes, I always fear shipping anything of value, especially oversea. Luckily, so far, everything I got was very well packaged.
Good luck restoring the radio.

Yes the rig appears to be in very good shape indeed. I once shipped a signal generator out  for repair. When it arrived at the repair shop the guy refused to acccept it and sent it back. Transformer came loose and went through the inside of the unit like a cyclone. Nothing left to fix lol.

Thanks for your comment, will be a nice repair.

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 12:32:01 am »
Just an update on the KWM-2
The owner gives me the go ahead and repair.
So we look over a few things to do.

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 12:46:24 pm »
Here are some pics of the broken mess.

I started sorting out all the little parts to see if any were missing. So far it is all there.

I was able to glue all of the bezel back together. What I am going to do now is cut out a very thin piece of copper sheeting to glue to the back. This will add a lot of strength to the part.  Once that is glued on and dry I will sand the front and apply filler. Light sand and paint with a flat black then add a little clear coat.

This is not plastic. I cannot remember what it is called but it is the same material that the knobs of this vintage but I think they are bakelite?

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 01:18:00 pm »
Yes, Bakelite, or glass/sawdust filled phenolic resin for the generic compositions. Good job on sticking it all back together, i generally put the pieces together then wick in some thin superglue ( keep acetone around to get the fingers off when you stick them), and where the pieces are missing I then mix up some 2 part epoxy ( Pratley quickset steel) to fill the gaps up. I have not bothered to do colour matching, but I would probably use some black toner in a slower setting fibreglass resin for that, mixed up to a thick paste.

Like the idea of the backing plate, if you have some sheet SRBP board I would use that instead, as it is both rigid and will not peel off if you use epoxy to stick it.

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 11:35:13 pm »
Thanks SeanB for the tips.
Have plenty of acetone on hand. I build model RC planes so that is a must. Also all kinds if CA glue in stock.
Was happy that all of the bezel was there. Looks like 2 small pieces of the collar is missing.

Another good filler is use a glue called zap a gap. It is a slower setting CA that fills gaps. Mix in a little baking soda and makes a filler that is hard as stone.

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2015, 06:15:30 pm »
The bezel did not turn out bad at all. The owner likes it so that is all that matters :)
I did find out the face plate of the radio was dented in and had to remove it and press it out.

I still have to get the VFO knob collar put back together. Not going to be an easy task.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf