Author Topic: Want to do my own segment on my blog  (Read 5342 times)

Offline tron9000Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Still an Electronics Lab Tech
    • My Hack-a-day project page
Want to do my own segment on my blog
« on: September 23, 2015, 10:01:56 am »
I kinda just got into doing video blogs and slowing finding my feet.

Problem is trying to find interesting things to talk about: most of its been done. But I had a few ideas and wondered if one of them would be something people would like to watch.

I work at a university, in the electronics and physics department, we have a WEEE bin, as do most companies and establishments in europe. But the stuff I find in there is fantastic! things you won't find anywhere else, but of course you find the usual stuff - laptops, chargers, old monitors, etc, but I could talk about how to salvage parts out of them.

Basically dumpster diving in an R&D department! Of course I do ask permission to remove these items first.

would anyone watch that?
Partsbox.io - orangise your parts!
"If you're green you can only ripen. If you're ripe you can only rot!"

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Want to do my own segment on my blog
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 11:16:49 am »
thanks for the advice, its definately something I do like doing, salvaging kit that people throw out.

cheers

Offline lukier

• Supporter
    • Homepage
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 11:49:27 am »
I work at a university, in the electronics and physics department, we have a WEEE bin, as do most companies and establishments in europe. But the stuff I find in there is fantastic! things you won't find anywhere else, but of course you find the usual stuff - laptops, chargers, old monitors, etc, but I could talk about how to salvage parts out of them.

Basically dumpster diving in an R&D department! Of course I do ask permission to remove these items first.

:-+ for that!

Probably almost half of my lab equipment is from dumpster diving (20 MHz analog scope, power supplies, etc).

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 05:07:57 pm »
we had a clear out this summer and gave first dibb's to electronics students: they scored themselves some right kit, FOR NOTHING! Load of tektroniks TDS204's went! all saved from the WEEE man to live another day!

Only proviso: THE EQUIPMENT NEVER RETURNS TO THE DEPARTMENT! - was given strict instructions to remove the devices from the property if students brought them back!

Offline lukier

• Supporter
    • Homepage
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 06:05:40 pm »
I'm glad you are allowed to do that.

I'm at a computing department, so no T&M equipment, but sometimes they give away PCs or monitors under similar conditions. The trouble is that more often than not they don't bother with decomissioning (wiping hard drives, required by data protection law) so it is more convenient to throw it in the WEEE bin and let the contracted recycler handle this. These guys I suppose make serious money, I bet it ends up on ebay.

The laws favor them a lot. They promise to handle data protection issue I suppose. Also, often universities cannot sell decades old surplus equipment (let's say 20 MHz CROs, think Tek 2205), even for students, as this would fall under consumer protection/sale laws (warranty, returns etc).

Broken equipment is even worse, falling under Health & Safety, so often in the first place there is no certified technician to do a simple repair (even as simple as replacing a fuse) - therefore a decent piece of kit ends in the skip. Again, absolutely no legal way of selling broken equipment. Imagine the possible lawsuits.

This pisses me off immensely, because many decent things end up in the skip (ebay at best), instead being useful for hobbyist, students, hackerspaces etc.

For example, a month ago or so I scored from the WEEE dumpster 3 broken E3631A, one even Agilent branded. One had just dirty encoder (grease), second broken ADC resistors (30Kohm AFAIR) and the third needed more work, replaced the SRAM and CV/CC optocouplers. So after spending few evenings and 10 GBP in parts I now have 3 perfectly working awesomely accurate power supplies. Unfortunately, T&M stuff is quite rare there, mostly computers & parts.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 08:11:11 pm »
I'm glad you are allowed to do that.

I'm at a computing department, so no T&M equipment, but sometimes they give away PCs or monitors under similar conditions. The trouble is that more often than not they don't bother with decomissioning (wiping hard drives, required by data protection law) so it is more convenient to throw it in the WEEE bin and let the contracted recycler handle this. These guys I suppose make serious money, I bet it ends up on ebay.

The laws favor them a lot. They promise to handle data protection issue I suppose. Also, often universities cannot sell decades old surplus equipment (let's say 20 MHz CROs, think Tek 2205), even for students, as this would fall under consumer protection/sale laws (warranty, returns etc).

Broken equipment is even worse, falling under Health & Safety, so often in the first place there is no certified technician to do a simple repair (even as simple as replacing a fuse) - therefore a decent piece of kit ends in the skip. Again, absolutely no legal way of selling broken equipment. Imagine the possible lawsuits.

This pisses me off immensely, because many decent things end up in the skip (ebay at best), instead being useful for hobbyist, students, hackerspaces etc.

For example, a month ago or so I scored from the WEEE dumpster 3 broken E3631A, one even Agilent branded. One had just dirty encoder (grease), second broken ADC resistors (30Kohm AFAIR) and the third needed more work, replaced the SRAM and CV/CC optocouplers. So after spending few evenings and 10 GBP in parts I now have 3 perfectly working awesomely accurate power supplies. Unfortunately, T&M stuff is quite rare there, mostly computers & parts.

It does grind my gears too, the fact that a £2 part can extend the life or a decent product by another 5 years tops! I did see an old Kiethley Dmm (one Dave did a teardown & repair of) and thought I'll come back and get that...it had already been got by the WEEE man! :palm:

We are required to pull out hard drives from the PC's and dispose of them as confidential waste (also handled by another company), but as an extra safety measure, we stick em in a vice with a bolt and wind it up! properly shatters the discs!

Anyway there's not alot in danaged hard drives that you can salvage - I'm more interested in the battery packs in laptops - brilliant resource for 18650 LI-Ion cells.

This is good! :-+ I'm glad that there are folk that would be interested in this!

Online Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 10:32:20 pm »
You can get the magnets out of tbe hdd's. They are rare earth, and strong.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 11:23:00 pm »
I recommend you do what you can be enthusiastic about. You'll enjoy it more and that will come across in the videos. Also you will be more likely to make videos.
On YT there is an audience for everything.

This.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 08:08:21 am »
You can get the magnets out of tbe hdd's. They are rare earth, and strong.
Ahh yes, the sticky metal things - well can't take them away anyhow - classed as confidential waste

I recommend you do what you can be enthusiastic about. You'll enjoy it more and that will come across in the videos. Also you will be more likely to make videos.
On YT there is an audience for everything.

This.
:-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf