Author Topic: YouTube to begin adding mid-roll ads to all 8+ minute videos on July 27th  (Read 5227 times)

Offline vwestlifeTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • The Official AM STEREO Web Site
ALERT: Beginning on July 27th, 2020, YouTube is going to start automatically adding mid-rolls ads to all videos that are at least 8 minutes long unless you specifically opt out of it. So if you don't want your channel bombed with ads in the spots its "machine learning algorithm" thinks are "natural breaks" in your videos, be sure to opt out now:

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6175006?hl=en-GB

You can still manually opt to add mid-roll ads to specific videos even if you opt out of the automatically placed ones.
Subscribe to VWestlife on YouTube
Retro Tech - Audio - Video - Radio - Computers - Electronics

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor

Youtube continues on its path to become like terrestrial US television stations of yesteryear.

Offline vwestlifeTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • The Official AM STEREO Web Site
The only possible advantage is that people making shorter videos will no longer pad them out with as much filler to reach a 10-minute length (the previous minimum for adding mid-roll ads).

But it's giving support to this guy's theory that YouTube is purposely making the ads (now mostly unskippable) so overwhelming and obnoxious that it will force more and more people into paying for an ad-free Premium subscription, eventually turning YouTube from a "free" service into a paid subscription service like Netflix:

Why are there so many ads on YouTube lately? - xjet

Subscribe to VWestlife on YouTube
Retro Tech - Audio - Video - Radio - Computers - Electronics

Offline Seekonk

• Super Contributor
What's the problem. My average youtube viewer never even makes it half way thru a 8 minute video before clicking off.

Offline NivagSwerdna

• Super Contributor
Very interesting.  I wasn't aware of how much the content creators could control mid-roll ads. I've unsubscribed from quite a few channels recently for this very reason.  My attention span isn't long enough to make it back after an ad.   :-DD

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
Very interesting.  I wasn't aware of how much the content creators could control mid-roll ads. I've unsubscribed from quite a few channels recently for this very reason.  My attention span isn't long enough to make it back after an ad.   :-DD

It disturbs your train of thought, especially if the presenter is on a roll...   It ruins the work that the creator did, basically. 

The following users thanked this post: cdev

Offline madsbarnkob

• Frequent Contributor
    • Kaizer Power Electronics
I am opting out for my channel, mid-roll ads was a necessary evil in flow TV in the old days. Commercial breaks, well, if anyone need a break nowadays they just pause.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
But it's giving support to this guy's theory that YouTube is purposely making the ads (now mostly unskippable) so overwhelming and obnoxious that it will force more and more people into paying for an ad-free Premium subscription, eventually turning YouTube from a "free" service into a paid subscription service like Netflix:
Let's give them adblocking users instead. If they try to block that, we'll adopt stealth adblocking technology.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
ALERT: Beginning on July 27th, 2020, YouTube is going to start automatically adding mid-rolls ads to all videos that are at least 8 minutes long unless you specifically opt out of it. So if you don't want your channel bombed with ads in the spots its "machine learning algorithm" thinks are "natural breaks" in your videos, be sure to opt out now:

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6175006?hl=en-GB

You can still manually opt to add mid-roll ads to specific videos even if you opt out of the automatically placed ones.

Not a bad thing from YouTube in fact.  >:D When looking at what Dave said in his video about the new mid-roll ad policy we have the following facts:

- All new videos longer than 8 minutes will have mid-roll ads placed *per default*
- All older videos longer than 8 minutes where you have opted *out* of mid-roll ads will be *automatically opted IN* for mid-roll ads (fuck them).
- You can only *manually* opt out mid-roll ads
- You can place mid-roll ads *manually* at any time in you video
- If you place mid-roll ads *manually* instead of done automatically by YouTube, you will be *less attractive for advertisers*
- As usual, YouTube is justifying all the extra annoyance by "helping creators" and "supporting advertisers", blablabla. *Surprise ???*

Dave needed more than *16* minutes to explain the above (still *without* mid-roll ads interruptions)

My consequence: KISS/VS. (In long: Keep it short and simple, violent and sexy).
Its easy to say everything that needs to be said here in 4 minutes maximum. This will you keep you clear of mid-roll ads for a while to come.
Might give it a thought.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 01:44:20 pm by Wolfgang »

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
I've pretty much reached my limit with the change, anyone know a way to block only midroll ads? for most of the people I watch the change is already against the creators wishes, so hoping to meet some happy medium thats not just block everything.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
I've pretty much reached my limit with the change, anyone know a way to block only midroll ads? for most of the people I watch the change is already against the creators wishes, so hoping to meet some happy medium thats not just block everything.

Search for the video with Bing, and view the video on Bing.  - ads disappear as if by magic.

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor

Search for the video with Bing, and view the video on Bing.  - ads disappear as if by magic.

... another thing that helps:
- never browse with an active google logon.
- when the google data protection nag screen appears, answer all questions with no and deactivate your history on google and youtube, do the same for personalized ads
Effect:
- all companies buying ads from google want to center their ads to target groups. Now you are a nobody, and the companies have no incentive to pay for non-targeted ads
-> No ads !! :=)

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
Way to many ads lately. I had 4 of them in a 20 minute video, For things like ice cream. It is so bad now, I'm considering placing pihole adblock on the TV.

Online langwadt

• Super Contributor
google is trying their best to get everyone to install an adblocker

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor

...or to stop wasting so much time watching Youtube videos!  :D

Online langwadt

• Super Contributor

I'm sure someone at google is thinking about how much more money they would make if they replaced all the videos with ads

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, SilverSolder

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
Depends. Some videos are so bad that even the ads are better.  >:D

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Most TV ad sales people wanted more ads, as they got a commission on the sale. That pesky programming always got in the way.

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design

Yeah, but the time you enjoy wasting is not wasted. Half of my subscribed channels are for learning or getting ideas. The other half for entertainment, which is a human need, especially these times.
Now, some idiot CFO at google fears that he is not getting his bonus this year, and wastes everyone's time with ads for ice cream.

Online langwadt

• Super Contributor

Yeah, but the time you enjoy wasting is not wasted. Half of my subscribed channels are for learning or getting ideas. The other half for entertainment, which is a human need, especially these times.
Now, some idiot CFO at google fears that he is not getting his bonus this year, and wastes everyone's time with ads for ice cream.

he must have missed the economics class where they explained that increasing the price doesn't necessarily mean making more money

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
Or the many examples where increasing advertisements encouraged the use of ad blockers. Still hoping for an answer to a way to block only midrolls

Offline TheWelly888

• Frequent Contributor
Not seen any mid-roll ads on YT myself - one happy adblock user here!  ^-^
You can do anything with the right attitude and a hammer.

Offline ve7xen

• Super Contributor
    • VE7XEN Blog
Or the many examples where increasing advertisements encouraged the use of ad blockers. Still hoping for an answer to a way to block only midrolls
YouTube Premium.

Why does everyone expect a free lunch? Either put up with the ads, or pay for ad-free access to the content. Up to you, YouTube and its creators owe you nothing for free.
73 de VE7XEN
He/Him

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
No the whole story in my view.

1) YOU are the product. They sell your personal data, preferences, history and whatnot to anybody who pays for it.
2) The asset they speculate on is your time and your attention. Dont know about you, but mine is *very* valueable.
3) Nobody is obliged to provide me with free (mis)information. The net is huge, I'll find what I need, dont worry.
4) I am not obliged to watch mostly idotic ads, nonsense,clickbait, pre- and mid-rolls, whatever.
5) My deal is: you provide me with what interest me and you sell my data. If you try to annoy me on top of that, I am gone.

DL1DWG

Offline ve7xen

• Super Contributor
    • VE7XEN Blog
No the whole story in my view.

1) YOU are the product. They sell your personal data, preferences, history and whatnot to anybody who pays for it.
2) The asset they speculate on is your time and your attention. Dont know about you, but mine is *very* valueable.
3) Nobody is obliged to provide me with free (mis)information. The net is huge, I'll find what I need, dont worry.
4) I am not obliged to watch mostly idotic ads, nonsense,clickbait, pre- and mid-rolls, whatever.
5) My deal is: you provide me with what interest me and you sell my data. If you try to annoy me on top of that, I am gone.

DL1DWG

They don't sell your personal data at all. They sell advertising that uses that personal data to target you appropriately. Without the ads, that data is of minimal usefulness to them. You are the product because you have eyeballs and money to spend; knowing what kind of content you like to watch is otherwise only useful to get you to watch more videos.

This is all fine, though. As you say you will do, if you don't like the arrangement, leave. That is the appropriate response. Whining about the deal isn't. My time is valuable, and I get value out of the content I view on YouTube, so I have no problem paying for YouTube Premium, which is in my estimation, much cheaper than the value I extract from it.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 10:24:18 pm by ve7xen »
73 de VE7XEN
He/Him

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf