Products > Programming

Actual C compiler for Windows for free

<< < (11/13) > >>

SiliconWizard:
wxWidgets is IMO the closest to looking "native" than most other cross-platform libraries, and the licensing is nicer (again IMO) than Qt's. And as Nominal pointed out, it's not just looking native but actually uses the native common dialogs and widgets when available.

Although looking close to native, Qt is different as Nominal said, and Qt apps are IME very recognizable. I can spot that an app uses Qt in a couple seconds.

77algernon:
To OP: You may try Pelles C Compiler, a complete C compiler/IDE/toolkit, in under 15 MBytes =)

http://www.smorgasbordet.com/pellesc/

rstofer:

--- Quote from: SiliconWizard on October 31, 2021, 05:06:07 pm ---All C compilers I know of are actually "command line". Even MSVC. Visual Studio just adds an IDE on top of the MS comand line tools, which, BTW, you can also install without Visual Studio IDE.
Likewise, you can use a number of other free IDEs along with GCC. If you like the Visual Studio interface, you can use Visual Studio Code for instance.

--- End quote ---

Visual Studio can print your source files, Visual Studio Code can not.  I like VS Code, I use it all the time but I really hate having to open the file with another editor just to get a listing.

SiliconWizard:

--- Quote from: rstofer on December 01, 2021, 07:24:41 pm ---
--- Quote from: SiliconWizard on October 31, 2021, 05:06:07 pm ---All C compilers I know of are actually "command line". Even MSVC. Visual Studio just adds an IDE on top of the MS comand line tools, which, BTW, you can also install without Visual Studio IDE.
Likewise, you can use a number of other free IDEs along with GCC. If you like the Visual Studio interface, you can use Visual Studio Code for instance.

--- End quote ---

Visual Studio can print your source files, Visual Studio Code can not.  I like VS Code, I use it all the time but I really hate having to open the file with another editor just to get a listing.

--- End quote ---

Ah, that's funny. I have VS Codium - mainly installed it to evaluate it, and occasionally to get a GUI frontend for GDB - it has an extension for that - but otherwise, I don't use it. Just checked and you're right, it doesn't support printing. Must be one of the few IDEs I've seen that did not!

cfbsoftware:

--- Quote from: rstofer on December 01, 2021, 07:24:41 pm ---I like VS Code, I use it all the time but I really hate having to open the file with another editor just to get a listing.

--- End quote ---
If it's any consolation you are not alone:
https://github.com/Microsoft/vscode/issues/5953

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version