Products > Programming

Actual C compiler for Windows for free

<< < (12/13) > >>

SiliconWizard:

--- Quote from: cfbsoftware on December 01, 2021, 10:22:15 pm ---
--- Quote from: rstofer on December 01, 2021, 07:24:41 pm ---I like VS Code, I use it all the time but I really hate having to open the file with another editor just to get a listing.

--- End quote ---
If it's any consolation you are not alone:
https://github.com/Microsoft/vscode/issues/5953

--- End quote ---

Wow, it's over 5 years old. And still nothing. Guess MS does not care one bit. Or maybe they want to keep this feature strictly as a differentiator for Visual Studio.

Note that VS Codium does not have printing either. But as far as I've understood, VS Codium is not really a fork, so it doesn't add any feature to VS Code. It's mainly a *build* that just strips off the nasty stuff (telemetry...) but otherwise uses the same code base.

dunkemhigh:

--- Quote ---It's mainly a *build* that just strips off the nasty stuff (telemetry...)
--- End quote ---

Thought that would be worth a look, but on Windows it uses Chocolaty or Scoop for install, both of which make Microsoft look sensible.

SiliconWizard:

--- Quote from: dunkemhigh on December 01, 2021, 11:23:49 pm ---
--- Quote ---It's mainly a *build* that just strips off the nasty stuff (telemetry...)
--- End quote ---

Thought that would be worth a look, but on Windows it uses Chocolaty or Scoop for install, both of which make Microsoft look sensible.

--- End quote ---

It doesn't need any install. You can download the binaries directly and run it without installation. That's what I do.

Just pick the .zip file of your choice here:  https://github.com/VSCodium/vscodium/releases (latest is VSCodium-win32-x64-1.62.3.zip for Windows/x64)

dunkemhigh:

--- Quote ---It doesn't need any install.
--- End quote ---

Blinding, thanks  :-+

Dunno how I missed that. Probably too dazzled by the  pretty web page  :palm:

SiliconWizard:

--- Quote from: dunkemhigh on December 02, 2021, 12:27:06 am ---
--- Quote ---It doesn't need any install.
--- End quote ---

Blinding, thanks  :-+

Dunno how I missed that. Probably too dazzled by the  pretty web page  :palm:

--- End quote ---

Yes, the web site is not the best. But it explains the difference with VS Code, including license differences...

Note that (probably also for licensing reasons), some VS Code extensions are not accessible in VS Codium. But you should find equivalent extensions that will work with it. Was the case for the extension supporting GDB debugging.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version