Products > Programming

Actual C compiler for Windows for free

<< < (13/13)

rpiloverbd:
I use visual studio

dunkemhigh:
The thing Visual Studio (even the proper full fat one) doesn't have, which I find so useful it's the other primary feature all my code editors since Brief have had, is the preview window. This isn't the VS preview window that merely shows a file preview but a preview of whatever your cursor happens to be on. If it's a function call it will show the function definition. A variable, the declaration. A struct member, the structure declaration. Etc. Even if you're not using it to actually preview, it is so quick that you get used to it signalling that the thing you just typed actually exists. IOW, if you type a name and the preview window doesn't show the declaration, you've made a typo.

The attached screeny gives a flavour. It's part of ESP32 example code, so the highlighted #define is actually defined somewhere within the 1GB of ESP-IDF source. Nevertheless, as soon as I click on it the preview window shows the definition - it is very rare that it doesn't update within a second. (Of course, this is in addition to the usual code hints and stuff.

Bassman59:

--- Quote from: SiliconWizard on December 01, 2021, 07:42:47 pm ---
--- Quote from: rstofer on December 01, 2021, 07:24:41 pm ---
--- Quote from: SiliconWizard on October 31, 2021, 05:06:07 pm ---All C compilers I know of are actually "command line". Even MSVC. Visual Studio just adds an IDE on top of the MS comand line tools, which, BTW, you can also install without Visual Studio IDE.
Likewise, you can use a number of other free IDEs along with GCC. If you like the Visual Studio interface, you can use Visual Studio Code for instance.

--- End quote ---

Visual Studio can print your source files, Visual Studio Code can not.  I like VS Code, I use it all the time but I really hate having to open the file with another editor just to get a listing.

--- End quote ---

Ah, that's funny. I have VS Codium - mainly installed it to evaluate it, and occasionally to get a GUI frontend for GDB - it has an extension for that - but otherwise, I don't use it. Just checked and you're right, it doesn't support printing. Must be one of the few IDEs I've seen that did not!

--- End quote ---

The Atom developers also don't think that printing is important. See here, for example.

newbrain:
I was trying to remember the very last time I felt the need to print code.
It finally came to me it was 1993, with some Fortran running on a MicroVAX!

I did not even notice VS Code was missing a print function, and I'm not able to tell whether e.g. Eclipse or Visual Studio do include one...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version