Products > Programming

any examples of OS not written in C/C++?

(1/39) > >>

DiTBho:
I am learning Rust step by step, and I wonder if at the end of the course I will be ever able to write something like a mini scheduler that can run on a real target.

I am learning Rust step by step, and I wonder if at the end of the course I will be ever able to write something like a mini scheduler that can run on a real target.

Probably no, but hey? At least I will have learned something new  :D

The same applied to other languages I have learned in the past. For instance ... Pascal? I have never seen an OS written in such language. Basic? No nice, etc.

Except Assembly. I have seen a lot of firmware and operating systems written in Assembly, but all my books about operating systems mention C or C++ as the only development language.

Have anyone seen and can report here a link to an OS not written in C/C++/ObjC?

I wanted a rude username:
TempleOS, obviously (HolyC and x86 assembly).

Many less famous operating systems such as Linux and Windows follow this pattern, though they tend to use boring mainstream languages like C and C++.

OS/360 was written in pure assembly, because in those days, men were real men.

SiliconWizard:
I think a large chunk of the first Mac OS versions was written in Pascal. Ditto for Lisa OS which Mac OS was partly based on.

CP/M was partly written in  PL/M.

Probably a lot of other examples, that's the two that come to mind at the moment.

Edit: I should also have mentioned Wirth's Oberon OS, written in Oberon! Although mostly an academic exercise and learning tool, it was a usable OS.

DC1MC:
http://menuetos.net/ - Pure Assembly

One can't write an OS in garbage collected languages, maybe some kind of student didactic implementation running on a virtual machine, you get rid of C/C++ and assembly, no OS, end of story.
Maybe sometimes later when the access to the actual hardware will restricted and just be offered via some hypervisor or other virtualization/containerization/obfuscation/simulation system one can make a "safe & modern"  >:D OS in Python, node.js, Ruby, Rust, Go or other crap application languages, but the real OS glued to the HW will still be C/assembly. Other 65535 attempts failed miserably so far, you can't write OS low level stuff with import system.os.
Of course all the other stuff above could still be used perfectly fine for writing apps and other user mode programs, just not bootloaders, drivers and schedulers. Who isn't able to cut it in assembly and C should stay away from any OS related stuff.

Cheers,
DC1MC

DiTBho:
thanks guy!

any publicly available source?  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version