Products > Programming

Client X-Window Desktop Manager

<< < (3/6) > >>

blacksheeplogic:

--- Quote from: newbrain on October 24, 2021, 08:49:44 am ---Your goal is not 100% clear to me, so pardon me f I'm suggesting something that is not what you're after.

I think you're not after a complete X desktop environment though you mentioned CDE and xfce?
And you need to run the client on the same machine.

--- End quote ---

Somewhat frustrated yesterday with cygwin/cygwin-x yesterday for what should have taken only a few minutes to set up. I'm used to using exceed. X410 was mentioned. I might purchase X-Win32 which looks like an alternative to exceed. I'm leaning towards X-Win32 as you can also purchase a support contract with it. I don't want to invest a lot of my time in tools.

newbrain:

--- Quote from: blacksheeplogic on October 24, 2021, 11:46:42 pm ---That's actually quite an interesting solution, had not considered  MS app for WSL.

--- End quote ---
WSL remains the easiest way to run user space Linux binaries on a Windows machine.

The limitations there is that USB devices access is limited (in WSL1, only USB serial) to non existent (in WSL2+ not even that without going though inanely complicated hoops).
Memory devices and disks can be shared/mounted.

The available distros are just a few, but if you are sufficiently determined, you can build your own.

Using VS Code running in Windows, it's possible to develop, compile and debug directly in WSL.
The new terminal app is (at last) a decent console/terminal emulation for working with command line programs (both Windows and WSL).

If graphics is needed, use one of the many X servers pointed at above (or native with W11/W10 insider).

An alternative that has not been proposed is using Docker for Windows, it will seamlessly start a (single) hidden VM to run Linux based images - but I have very little experience with it.

blacksheeplogic:

--- Quote from: newbrain on October 25, 2021, 07:52:48 am ---
--- Quote from: blacksheeplogic on October 24, 2021, 11:46:42 pm ---That's actually quite an interesting solution, had not considered  MS app for WSL.

--- End quote ---
WSL remains the easiest way to run user space Linux binaries on a Windows machine.

The available distros are just a few, but if you are sufficiently determined, you can build your own.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for your help.

No real experience with WSL, I have created a custom Debien kernel for the Cyclone V SOC's I am using, and I also have a UBUNTU Kernel I for building my PCIe Driver against. Getting a kernel is not the problem.

Where I run into issues is with the run of the mill environment set up. There's no clear documentation I found on getting XFCE4 to listen for XDMCP and start a session, There are notes on using SSH forwarding but I should not have to do this. I'm not sold on RDP but I know that is an option but I would prefer XDMCP because I'm old and that's what I have used in the past.

PKTKS:
Back in 2000s i had to deal with a similar issues...

I usually save my system images just in case of some tragic typical windooze events happen and they do happen a lot

The solution has no problems once you can open a cygwin server.. start a ssh session for your remote host using X11 protocol forwarding

I will see if i can find the legacy image to boot it in a vm.. if all goes well even a legacy crap like that should still do the trick...

Ssh port forward will open a dedicated tunnel for your remote clients...

Give me some time may be i can post a vintage screenshot. 

So this WSL   sick  aberration is not even relevant as it never was

Paul

Nominal Animal:

--- Quote from: blacksheeplogic on October 23, 2021, 10:57:08 pm ---I want to run the client on my windows 10 workstation without running a Linux client in a VM, and I want to start the session by clicking a icon on the windows taskbar.
--- End quote ---
May I ask why not a VM?

I'm genuinely interested, because I myself use a lot of VMs to test stuff on various Linux distros, including things like package portability across Debian variants.  The main issue is storage space and speed, for which I do recommend a separate fast NVMe (I'm looking at Samsung 980 Pro now myself), and secondary issue is available RAM (especially if compiling stuff); even a single-core VM seems to run very nicely if the storage and RAM are sufficient.  I often share the source directory if I'm editing the code, but compiling and running it in the VM.  The nice thing in that scenario is VM checkpointing: essentially, before I (install and) run the compiled binaries, I first revert to a fixed VM checkpoint/state.  This way even if the test crashes the VM, I can instantly revert it to the known working state.  Even if it does not crash, after exiting the binaries, I always revert to the known working state: that way I can be absolutely sure the execution environment is pristine every single time.  This applies to kernel module development, too, which is particularly nice in my opinion.

Please do note that even if the binary runs in Windows under WSL, it does not necessarily mean it runs fine in Linux also, because WSL is an imperfect emulation layer.  (Just like Wine in Linux is an imperfect emulation layer for Windows.)  Usually it does work, and for development, it might suffice.  You do need to do at least testing on actual Linux installations, though.  You should absolutely not rely on developing on Windows and assume the result must be fine on Linux too because you used WSL.  (Again, the exact same applies to developing for Windows on Linux.  This is not some kind of ideological purism, just a practical fact regardless of the OSes and emulation layers used.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version