Products > Programming

Client X-Window Desktop Manager

(1/6) > >>

blacksheeplogic:
In the past I have used exceed on Windows to connect to a Unix server and start a CDE session. I don't currently have exceed and I looked at cygwin but after several hours the simple task of connecting to a Linux server and starting a xfce client session, running xterm/xclock seems beyond it's capabilities.

I don't have a issue with purchasing a commercial license I just need something that works and is easy to configure. My basic requirement is to take a windows client app I have and work on the port to Linux. I want to run the client on my windows 10 workstation without running a Linux client in a VM, and I want to start the session by clicking a icon on the windows taskbar.

I'm interested in what people are using and how you configured both the Windows client and Linux server, not a list of 'possible' applications I could spend a week trying out.

langwadt:
on win10 I use X410 and run an ubuntu in WSL

newbrain:
Your goal is not 100% clear to me, so pardon me f I'm suggesting something that is not what you're after.

I think you're not after a complete X desktop environment though you mentioned CDE and xfce?
And you need to run the client on the same machine.

The shortest way to do that is using Windows 11 WSLg, it works out of the box and uses a light VM under the hood tunneling X11 request to Windows, without needing an X server on the Windows side. It can also use GPU for compute task (e.g. tensorflow) but not for graphic acceleration.

Install one of the available distributions and you are good to go. A regular Windows shortcut that launches the client can be created, look up the wsl.exe command.

Unfortunately this is not available for Windows 10, yet, possibly just behind the corner with 21H2.

In that case a X server on Windows is needed (I use vcxsrv) together with WSL, along with the usual contortios with DISPLAY and auth settings.

udok:

--- Quote from: blacksheeplogic on October 23, 2021, 10:57:08 pm ---In the past I have used exceed on Windows to connect to a Unix server and start a CDE session. I don't currently have exceed and I looked at cygwin but after several hours the simple task of connecting to a Linux server and starting a xfce client session, running xterm/xclock seems beyond it's capabilities.

--- End quote ---

I think that Cygwin has NO buildin X-Server.   So that will not work.

You must install a X-Server like https://sourceforge.net/projects/vcxsrv/

tunk:
You mention Cygwin, does that include Cygwin/X: https://x.cygwin.com/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version