Products > Programming

Connect an Adafruit Feather (nRF52 Bluefruit LE - nRF52832) to an ESP8266-01

(1/2) > >>

Prince1819:
Hi,
My team and I were trying to connect an Adafruit Feather (nRF52 Bluefruit LE - nRF52832) to
an ESP8266-01 through serial connection.
The process is the following:
1. A bunch of sensors send data to the Adafruit Feather.
2. The Feather sends all the data via serial communication to the ESP8266-01.
3. Then the ESP sends all to a server.
We are having problems in the communication between the Feather and the ESP. For several
weeks we tried to code for ourselves and then after lots of failures, we advance for pre-done
codes found on forums, but no one was working, at least with our hardware.
Did someone had the same problem? If yes, how did you solved it?
Best regards,
Paulo Andrade

PlainName:
Might help if you say what the symptoms of it not working are, and what you're actually doing in the way of transferring the data. Otherwise there are a zillion things it could be, 99% of which won't be appropriate to your particular situation.

So:

1. What is the serial connection? Speed, format, etc?
2. Are you sending known data (so you can check it at various points) or is it opaque to you?
3. Do you see that data exiting the Feather, on the wires?
4. Does the ESP read whatever is on the wire properly?

Prince1819:
Might help if you say what the symptoms of it not working are, and what you're actually doing in the way of transferring the data. Otherwise there are a zillion things it could be, 99% of which won't be appropriate to your particular situation.

So:

1. What is the serial connection? Speed, format, etc? -> Baud Rate: 9600; Type: UART
2. Are you sending known data (so you can check it at various points) or is it opaque to you? -> We are sending a temperature from a atmospheric sensor
3. Do you see that data exiting the Feather, on the wires? -> Yes
4. Does the ESP read whatever is on the wire properly? -> No, in the website we get random numbers or characters

PlainName:
OK. Just to be sure, I would ignore the sensor and use fake data, so I know the exact pattern that should appear on the wires. And then verify that the data does indeed show on the wire exactly as expected. The problem with sensor data is that it changes, and whilst you might be able to say that the ultimate numbers aren't what's being transferred, it's hard to say what they should be. It's also easier to spot things like reversed bits, 7-bit data, etc.

Next, do the same for the ESP->server connection. That is, fake the data being sent to the server with something you can easily verify and check that it does indeed come out the other end properly. Sorry if you've already done this but without knowing if you have it's worth pointing out.

Assuming both the above verify correctly, the problem has to be in the ESP, so it's just a matter of intercepting the (still known, fake data) in the receive function and then working towards the server sending stuff until it is wrong.

How are you programming this (that is, what language)?

Prince1819:
I actually already tried to send "fake data". I defined a string (example: "1234") and then tried to send it via serial communication.
With an oscilloscope I measured the wave form and it was ok, it was what I expected. The ESP simply didnĀ“t read anything. That made me think that might have been some prblem with the TX-RX ports of the ESP but I can program it with no worries.

I am using Arduino IDE (C++) with a programming board to program it

Best regards

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version