Author Topic: GNU libc version 2.26 manual  (Read 1560 times)

Offline KarelTopic starter

• Super Contributor
GNU libc version 2.26 manual
« on: October 14, 2021, 02:32:33 pm »
I just discovered that gnu.org updated their libc online manual and they removed POSIX threads (at least the description of pthread_create()).
Does somebody know a link to the older libc html manuals? I need version 2.26 but I can't find a link to older versions.

edit: don't bother, I found it.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 02:47:44 pm by Karel »

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
Re: GNU libc version 2.26 manual
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2021, 02:23:13 pm »

Maybe someone else might benefit from knowing where you got it. Saves them asking the same thing, see.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2021, 03:03:28 pm »

Maybe someone else might benefit from knowing where you got it. Saves them asking the same thing, see.

I installed the manual v2.26 using the package manager on my system.
Not that it helped me much because also that version did not have the description for pthreads.
Then I remembered that, when I wrote the software using pthreads, I used a book called
"The Linux programming interface" by Michael Kerrisk, as a reference...  8)

So, I haven't found any "official" online manual for POSIX threads. If somebody now where to find it, I would like to hear it.

The following users thanked this post: PlainName

Offline ejeffrey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2021, 07:56:37 pm »
The man pages for the specific functions are part of the linux man pages project:

https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man7/pthreads.7.html
https://linux.die.net/man/7/pthreads

For more on "how to use threads", any pthread book should have that such as this one: https://www.oreilly.com/library/view/pthreads-programming/9781449364724/

Offline golden_labels

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2021, 07:28:28 pm »
Karel:
The GNU C Library is merely implementing an existing specification: IEEE Std 1003.1-2017 (pthread.h). The library doesn’t need to copy that, as it’s both a burden and a copyright issue. And I do not recall it ever did, so I am not sure, what you mean by installing an older package.

Documentation regarding glibc’s API is maintained by the Linux manual pages project. Sections 3p and 3 are of interest to you, along with the section 7 introduction mentioned by ejeffrey.
People imagine AI as T1000. What we got so far is glorified T9.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2021, 09:37:51 pm »
Karel:
The GNU C Library is merely implementing an existing specification: IEEE Std 1003.1-2017 (pthread.h). The library doesn’t need to copy that, as it’s both a burden and a copyright issue. And I do not recall it ever did, so I am not sure, what you mean by installing an older package.

Documentation regarding glibc’s API is maintained by the Linux manual pages project. Sections 3p and 3 are of interest to you, along with the section 7 introduction mentioned by ejeffrey.

For glibc I usually use this one:

https://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/index.html

I thought there was also a similar manual for pthreads. Apparently not.

Man pages I use when I know the function but I want to check the exact arguments and/or return value.
For more generic things as "how to do x", I find the glibc manual (in html form) very helpfull.
I find it a pitty that there isn't something similar for pthreads.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf