Author Topic: Illogicalities of 68xx assembly  (Read 1335 times)

Offline metertech58761Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Illogicalities of 68xx assembly
« on: April 21, 2023, 02:02:03 pm »
So I'm trying to untangle this plate of spaghetti that passes for 6801 assembly, and have come across a bit of a headscratcher. I want to see if anyone else can make sense of it:

Code: [Select]
LDAB  #$0C
LDAA  #$00
BNE   LB_F884
ORAB  #$30
LB_F884 ORAB  NVR_39
STAB  NVR_39
LDAA  #$06
LDAB  #$01
BEQ   LB_F8A0
ASLA
LB_F8A0 STAA  NVR_1E

If I'm right, I should be able to replace them with equivalent code:

LDAB  NVR_39
ORAB  #$3C
STAB  NVR_39
LDAA  #$0C
STAA  NVR_1E

Right?

Looking a bit further down I see this little gem:

LDAA  #$00
BEQ   ...

Here, I should be able to just cut everything out between this and the target, right?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 03:49:19 pm by metertech58761 »

Offline wofritz

• Contributor
Re: Illogicalities of 68xx assembly
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2023, 02:34:37 pm »
I don't know about the 68xx, but on the Z80 loading something into accumulator does not modify the flags

Offline bingo600

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2023, 02:58:27 pm »
I don't know about the 68xx, but on the Z80 loading something into accumulator does not modify the flags

The 68xx register loads will affect ie. the Z Flag

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2023, 03:07:00 pm »
bingo600: Right, so clearing the accumulator by loading a 0, followed by a BEQ means everything from that point to the target is completely ignored, correct? There are no 'external' calls into that block either.

Offline bingo600

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2023, 03:14:25 pm »
bingo600: Right, so clearing the accumulator by loading a 0, followed by a BEQ means everything from that point to the target is completely ignored, correct? There are no 'external' calls into that block either.

That would seem to be correct , LDAA #$00 would set the Z Flag , and the BEQ would always be true

As i see it further up , it'll always ORAB #$30 , and never ASLA

Hope some compiler did that code, not a person.

/Bingo
« Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 03:17:41 pm by bingo600 »

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2023, 03:55:20 pm »
I don't know 6800 assembly, but when disassembled code seems illogical, check you are not decoding data.  Back then data and code were often mixed in the same memory, no separation.

Second, could be a timing loop, where the programmer counted the instructions and their execution time.  It was a known technique to insert some useless instruction only to match the desired machine cycles you wanted the delay to be.

Third, encrypted firmware and/or hardware protection against copying was not yet a thing, but reverse engineering was a thing.  Therefore, once in a while you may see intentionally irrational code, meant to make it harder to understand so to obfuscate the algorithm intended to protect.

The following users thanked this post: 5U4GB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2023, 03:58:52 pm »
Hope some compiler did that code, not a person.

I would hope so as well!

Actually, the first part of my code was two separate sections, so I went back and tweaked the post for clarity.

I haven't come back to that part of the code, but I have seen where it OR'd a number with 00...

I wonder if it's some kind of template code where certain values are changed in the binary before burning to EPROM? (different options installed etc.) I'll probably have to start making notations in the 'reference' copy of the source that I made.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 04:07:16 pm by metertech58761 »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2023, 04:06:08 pm »
RoGeorge: re: data and code mixed in the same section, I have run into that in the past, and thankfully is not the case with this particular block (I did identify two sections elsewhere where a table was adjacent to the code using it).

Timing.... the main clock is only 1MHz - I don't think cycle counting would be a factor with such a low speed?

Obfuscation.... that could well be part of what I'm running into.

Also, this code when fully expanded (all reused code duplicated as needed to reduce the number of JMP and BRA) appears to be about 5.5 kilobytes, squeezed down to fit on a 4K EPROM with < 100 bytes to spare.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 04:07:41 pm by metertech58761 »

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2023, 04:17:17 pm »
Timing.... the main clock is only 1MHz - I don't think cycle counting would be a factor with such a low speed?

Not saying the particular code you posted is a timing loop, but in general, the smaller the clock the more attention it needs.

For example when generating musical tones, one might need to carefully count how many machine cycles are in the loop, so the musical note is close enough, so it won't sound fake.  Nowadays hardware timers and PWM peripherals are common to any microcontroller, but that wasn't the case back then.  So, the programmers had to carefully count the clocks needed to execute each instruction, so to generate in software the needed musical note, or the needed PWM ratio.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2023, 09:14:43 am »
OK, so another bit of confusing code:

LB_F4E6 ANDB  #$0F
CMPB  #$04
BPL   LB_F51B
INCA
SEC
ORAB  #$00 ; ???
BEQ   LB_F4F6 ; ???
LB_F4F2 ROLA
DECB
BNE   LB_F4F2
LB_F4F6 STAA  DCT_97
JMP   LB_F48F

Why would I want to OR something with 0?

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2023, 11:02:17 am »
Sometimes an operation that doesn't change any number is done only to set the flags.

For example, check if the number is zero by OR-ing it with zero (will let the number unchanged), then looking at the zero flag.  Again,  I don't know 6800 assembly,  only telling generic tricks.  Don't know if that applies to the code you see.

The following users thanked this post: 5U4GB

Offline DiTBho

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2023, 11:43:32 am »
on MIPS you test-and-branch with a single instruction
on 68HC11 and 68000 first you test, then you branch

test means: operation (register) --> change some flag in a dedicated register
branch means: check a specific flag/s in the dedicated register, and if they match your condition (is it zero? is it not_zero? is it carry? is it overflow? is it underflow? is it GE? is it LE? GT? LT? EQ? NEQ?, than branch, otherwise do nothing and execute the next instruction

MIPS needs routines to check { carry, overflow, underflow }
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2023, 12:16:18 pm »
If I wanted to check for the Z flag, it would make more sense to start with TSTB or a CMPB #$00 instead of ORA #$00...?

The load management terminal actually had a number of different options (up to three Form A and up to three Form C contact inputs, up to four relay outputs, one of which could be a latched type, two rate annunciator outputs), and if the ADC daughterboard and its EPROM were present, up to four transducers could be handled.

I'm starting to wonder if these 'illogicalities' I'm seeing are actually 'software switches' that are turned on / off to configure the various options.

Offline WattsThat

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2023, 12:35:38 pm »
Limited experience in 6800 but in the 8008/8080/Z80 world:

Adding a forth possibility to RoGeorges post #5, is when hand crafted, non compiler generated code involves a branch that makes no sense - you have possible target for dynamic code modification. Changing the branch type or target address of the branch was a common code space compaction technique when ram was expensive and limited.

You’ll see other indications of said dubious techniques, a RET followed by two NOP’s was a common way to extend a subroutine by dynamically replacing the three byte sequence with a jump to continue execution elsewhere.

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2023, 12:41:49 pm »
I don't know the 6800, but there is a chance that TSTB is just a short cut for an ORAB #00 and just the dissassember does not use it. There are sometimes alternative names to make code a little more readabel.

Offline 5U4GB

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2023, 10:30:51 am »
Second, could be a timing loop, where the programmer counted the instructions and their execution time.  It was a known technique to insert some useless instruction only to match the desired machine cycles you wanted the delay to be.

Another thing to look out for is whether there's other code that jumps into the middle of instructions there.  You could save space in 8-bit code by eliminating branches, which could be done by laying things out so you could jump into the middle of another instruction so that depending on which way you came in one or the other instructions turned into no-op equivalents.  This was fairly standard in handcoded assembly when you knew all the opcodes.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2023, 06:55:22 am »
5U4: I remember that trick back in the day... on the 6502-class MPUs, the BIT opcode was especially handy for this.

But this firmware I'm picking away at makes HEAVY use of BRA to reuse code... it's how they managed to squeeze 5.5K into just under 4K...

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2023, 07:05:56 am »
Think I finally found some obfuscation code -

LB_FD52 BSR   LB_FD57
JMP   LB_FEFF
LB_FD57 LDAA  NVR_1A
CMPA  #$01
BEQ   LB_FD5F
RTS
LB_FD5F LDAB  SRM_C6

and which, if I juggle a couple lines, looks like it should be:

LB_FD52 LDAA  NVR_1A
CMPA  #$01
BEQ   LB_FD5F
JMP   LB_FEFF
LB_FD5F LDAB  SRM_C6

right? There is NO other call to the "subroutine" at LB_FD57.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf