Products > Programming

Multiple monitors, or Virtual Desktops, or KDE Activities, or something else?

<< < (3/3)

Ed.Kloonk:
I keep coming back to single monitor setup /w multiple desktops.

RoGeorge:
I'm using KDE Plasma, and it doesn't remember each window and each file, nor the cursor position inside windows with big pages.  In fact, if I logout/login, most of the programs that were open will be closed at logout.  Only very few KDE aware programs can be restored.  Is there any KDE Plasma setting that can fully restore them all?

The workflow is usually like this:
- start working, open 100 different programs and pages and docs and IDEs, etc.
- then the weekend ends, and I want to preserve that exact mess on the desktop, untouched until next week, or until next year, just like it would be preserved when the lid of a laptop is closed then open again next day. (I promise to not close the lid in the middle of a compilation, or in the middle of a debugging session, so preserving only the opened windows, files, and cursor position inside files would suffice)
- meanwhile, outside the weekends, the same PC has to be used for many other things, so I cannot just switch to another desktop and let everything open until 2 months later when the parts arrive. It has to be something able to save and restore a state.

SiliconWizard:
I agree that would be an awesome feature for any desktop environment. Yes, at the moment, whatever the DE/OS you use, using standby/resume is still the only way of getting this.
This is the only reason I put even my workstations in standby whenever I can (boot time is not really one reason, it's not significant with modern hardware...) Having to relaunch every app / reopen every file / put all this exactly as it was when you left it is a huge waste of time.

This would essentially be a "session manager". Yes, some DEs have tried kind of implementing this, but it was never quite there. Now, one thing for sure is that apps would have to "cooperate" on some level, and that's probably where it falls short.

As a completely DE/OS/application-agnostic approach, one could think of something like handling multiple "system images" - like the hibernation files that are created and restored upon hibernating - but instead of just one, you could have several images and select which one you want to load at startup.

Whales:
I use i3wm across 3 monitors (all freebies of different sizes & vintages).  It lets me have 10 virtual desktops that I can juggle between the monitors.   

i3wm not a traditional window manager by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm used to it and have been happy for many years.

For save/resume: I sometimes use SIGSTOP and SIGCONT, but of course that doesn't give you RAM back.  Only really useful when one program is wanting to hog your CPU doing literally nothing, but you don't dare close it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version