Author Topic: Theoretical question: Missing memory  (Read 1038 times)

Offline metertech58761Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Theoretical question: Missing memory
« on: March 20, 2023, 07:57:24 am »
I thought I'd take a break from tearing my hair out while trying to untangle this bit of code and ask a dumb question -

What happens if you tell the CPU to access a given address and no RAM exists at that location - not even a 'shadow copy' from partial address decoding?

The code I'm looking at was apparently used in two different models - one with the main board set alone and the other with an ADC daughterboard.

This rare (and likely now extinct) ADC daughterboard had a second EPROM, along with an additional 128 bytes of RAM (either an MC6810 or 2x HM-6561).

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
Re: Theoretical question: Missing memory
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2023, 08:08:12 am »
If the bus controller doesn't know this and throw an error it will just try to read air, I think.

Offline DiTBho

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2023, 09:58:56 am »
What happens if you tell the CPU to access a given address and no RAM exists at that location - not even a 'shadow copy' from partial address decoding?

my 68hc11 EVB board has 512-byte of internal ram, 32Kbyte of ram, 16Kbyte of ROM, 2Kbyte of expandable addresses mapped to physical devices { LCD-2x16, Eth0 }

CPU <----> 74HC138: decode(addr)->/CS <----> device=devices(/CS)

So it has (64Kb - (512 + 32K + 16K + 2K)) addresses mapped to no device.
If I try to issue a read request to those addresses, I always get 0xff.

- -

While on my atlas mips board I always get a error bus exception.

CPU <----> bus controller: decode(addr)->/CS, wait for /ack|bus err <----> device=devices(/CS)

When the CPU issues an address on the bus, the device on the other side of the bus has to acknowledge itself within a time limit, counted in terms of bus-cycles, 10 clock edges at 33Mhz, in my case.
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2023, 12:06:15 pm »
So in other words, given that the data bus has a pull-up on it, it should just come back as FF... makes sense.

Like I said, it was a dumb question I should have known the answer to... :)

Offline AndyBeez

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2023, 10:51:57 am »
Depends on how well 'tied' to logic 1 the bus is. You might get #FF 99.9999% of the time, but random bus noise/ringing might make the outcome less than a boolean certainty.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2023, 11:28:58 am »
Yes, more or less three possibilities:
Real mode, open bus: reads last data asserted (the previous value is stored on bus capacitance -- it's like having one byte of DRAM made in a PCB).  On many CPUs, the last data fetched will simply be the instruction currently executing.
Real mode, pulled bus: 0xff or 0x0 (or maybe something mixed, but that would be weird?).  If the pulls are weak, it could be a mix of the above, depending on timing and maybe noise.
Protected mode: likely the address isn't mapped and a protection flag is thrown.  The kernel could just as well map it of course, in which case the above applies.

Open bus is relevant to a number of systems; in fact it appears in a number of classic console games, when abusing glitches to cause out-of-bounds reads.  There is such a glitch in Super Mario World, for example (SNES, 65C816 CPU).

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline srb1954

• Super Contributor
  • Retired Electronics Design Engineer
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2023, 04:38:25 am »
I thought I'd take a break from tearing my hair out while trying to untangle this bit of code and ask a dumb question -

The code I'm looking at was apparently used in two different models - one with the main board set alone and the other with an ADC daughterboard.

This rare (and likely now extinct) ADC daughterboard had a second EPROM, along with an additional 128 bytes of RAM (either an MC6810 or 2x HM-6561).
You would expect the S/W to look for a particular pattern in the EPROM to determine the presence of that daughterboard.

If the daughterboard only contains RAM the S/W would normally attempt to write and verify several different patterns throughout the expected RAM address range to determine if the RAM is present.

Detecting whether it is a shadow copy or not is a little more difficult. You need to write a specific pattern in one of the locations, write a different pattern in the potential shadow location and then go back and see if the original pattern has changed or not.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2023, 06:42:28 am »
srb1954: One of the first things the code does in the reset code is to look for a particular value at $E000 and jump to $E001 if a particular value was seen.

After that first jump, I'm not sure how it shifted between the daughterboard code and the main code. It likely relied on the IRQ and SWI vectors to do so.

The memory map is just plain weird due to partial address decoding:

PTM: $0000, external input latch: $0008, PIA: $000C, SRAM: $0080, NVRAM: $0C00, daughterboard RAM: $0C80, daughterboard ROM: $E000, and main ROM: $F000

Offline srb1954

• Super Contributor
  • Retired Electronics Design Engineer
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2023, 09:42:12 pm »
srb1954: One of the first things the code does in the reset code is to look for a particular value at $E000 and jump to $E001 if a particular value was seen.

After that first jump, I'm not sure how it shifted between the daughterboard code and the main code. It likely relied on the IRQ and SWI vectors to do so.
It could be that the functionality of the unit is so significantly changed when the daughterboard is added and the programmers chose the simpler route to have a different main loop. This would be a lot easier than having repeated tests and branches in the standard main loop to change program functionality on the fly.

As well as using IRQ and SWI to access the main code the jump-to-subroutine (JSR) can access the whole 64k address space and so could be used to access subroutines in the main ROM.

The memory map is just plain weird due to partial address decoding:

PTM: $0000, external input latch: $0008, PIA: $000C, SRAM: $0080, NVRAM: $0C00, daughterboard RAM: $0C80, daughterboard ROM: $E000, and main ROM: $F000
Actually, this is a fairly standard memory map for a 6800 system. There is a code size and speed advantage using the direct addressing mode to access the bottom 256 bytes of memory. Putting the scratch RAM and frequently accessed peripherals in this address space is common practice.

In the 6800 architecture the power-on reset vectors reside at $FFFE and $FFFF so the EPROM must be present at the top of the memory space to start the processor up. Additional EPROMs are commonly built downwards from this point leaving the maximum space building up from address $0000 for RAM and peripherals.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2023, 05:54:03 am »
I meant weird as to how the memory was allocated. :)

I agree that it works best to have as much memory as possible in the lower addresses to make use of zero-page (direct) mode.

So, I can see using SWI as the hook to jump from the daughterboard EPROM back to the main EPROM.

Thing is, though, there's only the one path from the main to the daughterboard EPROM, which is in the initialization sequence. However...!

One of the IRQ-related routines actually ends in an infinite loop ($F685: BRA $F685).

Also, given that the main code otherwise manipulates a pin on the PIA to feed the input to the watchdog circuit, do you suppose that infinite loop is just a way to force the watchdog to time out and 'kick' the MPU back to the reset vector and return to the daughterboard EPROM that way?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2023, 06:47:50 pm »
Just a footnote: This whole thread was based on an incorrect assumption on the design of the load terminal unit I was reverse engineering.  :palm:

The load terminal uses the full $0C00-$0CFF page while the test terminal logic board uses some decoding to split the range into $0C00-$0C7F (RAM) and $0CF0-$0CFF (74x138).

My mistake was assuming that the distribution terminal had the upper RAM relocated to the daughterboard like in the test terminal.

I have to the conclusion / realization it apparently does NOT, therefore, its upper RAM would be the same range as the load terminal; ergo, $0C00-$0CFF.

The distribution terminal's daughterboard should consist solely of the ADC and support circuitry, which is driven from the PIA.

Too bad there are likely no remaining examples of the distribution terminal (I have been told few were ever made, and all were bespoke regarding installed options).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf