Author Topic: What OS do you use for embedded software development?  (Read 992 times)

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
Re: What OS do you use for embedded software development?
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2020, 05:28:08 pm »
There is nothing stopping you disconnecting windows 10 from the internet. Most updates are security related. We have updates now like never before and this has come in line with increased connectivity and the security risks this poses.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2020, 07:47:19 am »
I use Win10, Linux, and MacOS but spend most of my time in Win10. It is the only OS that runs everything I need. Linux does a lot of things, but is distracting for someone like me that will never be a system engineer. I do love Linux for my projects that need to run on limited hardware.

I don't care if I have to pay a tiny sum for Windows and I don't care about the updates - I am always connected to the internet.
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline Tony_G

• Frequent Contributor
  • Checkout my old test gear channel (link in sig)
    • TGSoapbox
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2020, 09:14:56 pm »
I'm in the "use what works best for you" camp - I prefer Windows but if you prefer Linux/FreeBSD/MacOS/etc then go for it - I don't think the OS choice has as much impact as the "target device" and "tool chain" has. YMMV.

That said, I just did quite a bit of uboot work with i.MX6 using WSL and it was great (setattr is your friend) when combined with VS Code and the WSL extension.

TonyG

Offline Jan Audio

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2020, 01:39:48 pm »
Windows should be detected by your antivirus.

Offline Mark19960

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2020, 12:18:13 pm »
Me? Windows.
Same as Simon above with Atmel Studio.
MPLAB does weird things on my monitor and I tinkered with the DPI settings to no avail.
Not sure why Microchip doesn't fix that problem. It makes the MPLAB near useless.
Atollic works fine on my high DPI monitors so I am not sure why Microchip can't get that sorted.

But who knows in the future I may be forced back to Linux (I used to use it as a daily driver for years so no worries)

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2020, 03:23:17 pm »
Not sure why Microchip doesn't fix that problem. It makes the MPLAB near useless.

Software development as a whole is in a disastrous state these days. Just my humble opinion though.

The following users thanked this post: Siwastaja

Offline gaguilar

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2020, 07:41:03 pm »
At work Win 10, we heavily depend on niche Windows applications for the whole development lifecycle, even though we use MYSYS for our compilation environment.

For most of the stablished industries changing or altering the development lifecycle toolchain OS is not doable, as it would mean doing a lot more yourself or losing competitive edge by diverting more resources to developing your own tools. Though we definetively have our own development and design tools.

For personal use I use Linux.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf