Author Topic: you have raw bytes: how to understand the used lossless algorithm?  (Read 2339 times)

Offline DiTBhoTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: you have raw bytes: how to understand the used lossless algorithm?
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2022, 11:59:46 am »
Code: [Select]
.                        _____
  hidden source --------|     |            __________
                        |     |           |          |
                        | mux |-------- x | blackbox | y ------
                        |     |           | y = f(x) |
external source --------|_____|           |__________|
                                              ^
                                              |
                                            compress level
                                            value {1 .. 5}

ummm, it looks like I set the mux incorrectly, so the blackbox ignored the external source and processed the hidden source but, this time, no compression. I have to recreate the packet sequence for this, because it is very interesting and it is the first time that it emits something uncompressed.

Anyway, I issued an hardware reset, set the mux to the external source, and captured the compressed packet.

This time it should be right.

* image.tar (15.12 kB - downloaded 47 times.)
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2022, 12:05:19 pm »
@Mechatrommer
which program are you using to decode pictures?
here I have implemented a very wild program for x11

Code: [Select]
    for (y = 0; y < ysize; y++)
    {
        for (x = 0; x < xsize; x++)
        {
            if (i < data_size)
            {
                R = data[i + 0];
                G = data[i + 1];
                B = data[i + 2];
            }
            else
            {
                R = 0;
                G = 0;
                B = 0;
            }

x11_point_color(R, G, B);
            x11_point_draw(x, y);

i += 3;
        }
    }
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

Offline golden_labels

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2022, 12:10:49 pm »
Wait, do you have something to see a decoded image? If yes, just introduce modifications. Flip a bit or increment some octet and see what happens.

As for the theoretical part: with zero knowledge about the content of the message and the encoding mechanism, you can never decode it. That is because you have no way of discerning valid decodings. Which is why one-time-pad is provably unbreakable encryption even if you could bruteforce all possible keys. Same goes for single blocks of many block ciphers.

IMO communicating with extraterrestial species would be much worse than just trouble with encoding. If both sides had the same goals while designing the communication methods, both would probably end up with something recognizable to the other side. The true obstacle may be of different nature. No concepts shared. Humans love to model ETs as “just an exotic civilization”, but in reality they may have been shaped to use concepts completely unfamiliar to humans. Make a simple thought experiment that doesn’t even require involving other planets. How would you talk with ants or trees, given you had a chance to do so? You may argue they are not complex enough and sure I do not ask about having a debate on philosophy with a nearby ant hill. But if you consider them horribly dense and only want to communicate simple things… you still can’t. Their and your pereception of everything is just too different to share any kind of information.
People imagine AI as T1000. What we got so far is glorified T9.

The following users thanked this post: DiTBho

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2022, 12:25:38 pm »
Hollywood makes first contact with aliens a breeze, but it's not.
because most aliens there speak english, and with decades of mixed culture, you can quickly tell if raising a hand is a hi or an insult ;) watching too much "Marvel" grade movies is not good for your cryptanalyst's health, even experts will stuggle on others' creations in reality... if you want to watch movies instead of learning most decoding (encryption and compression) schemes in real life and try to invent one yourself, may i suggest  history movies such as Midway(2019) or The Imitation Game(2014). cheers ;)

@Mechatrommer
which program are you using to decode pictures?
its my diy tool i made a while ago to extract plain image resources from some apps, it supports simple pixel and width padding and non 8-bit aligned data. also can be used to see data compressibility or randomness (information's entropy) in visual color form...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 01:43:56 pm by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2022, 09:59:59 pm »
what do you think, guys, about the last binary image (compression level 5) I uploaded?

I captured a document that mentions "AVI", which somehow gives more clues.
However AVI is only a container, which can use:
- MPEG-1
- MPEG-2
- MPEG-4
- WMV
- RealVideo
- Theora
- Flash

OMG  :-//

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2022, 11:37:53 pm »
I captured a document that mentions "AVI", which somehow gives more clues.
However AVI is only a container, which can use:
- MPEG-1
- MPEG-2
- MPEG-4
- WMV
- RealVideo
- Theora
- Flash

OMG  :-//
thats life. avi is an old format that has seen many new compression schemes coming in... backward compatibility has to be preserved.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2022, 07:29:10 pm »
I am trying with lz77&C compression-algorithms  :-//

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2022, 06:00:47 am »
I am trying with lz77&C compression-algorithms  :-//
i suggest start in chronological order, such as RLE and then huffman encoding and to more advanced dictionary based with tree traversing etc etc... so you can understand why things happened as it happened. its a long story cant easily being told in a single forum. good luck!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2022, 09:09:03 am »
i suggest start in chronological order, such as RLE and then huffman encoding and to more advanced dictionary based with tree traversing etc etc... so you can understand why things happened as it happened. its a long story cant easily being told in a single forum. good luck!

eheh, and it will be a solid-rock learning experience this way!

Good idea! Thanks   ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf