Offline DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
Re: Zinc
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2023, 02:08:54 am »
Oh crap! 

https://tibleiz.net/zinc/
Identifiers Can Have Blanks

The most important feature and the most unusual.

If you consider that an identifier follows this regular expression [_A-Za-z][_A-Za-z0-9]*,then just consider that a zinc identifier can be a sequence of one or more identifiers separated by blanks. The grammar of zinc permit this.

e.g.:

OpenWindowWithAttributes(...)
or
open_window_with_attributes(...)

becomes:

open window with attributes (...)

More information here.
   If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2023, 06:01:09 am »
Oh crap! 

https://tibleiz.net/zinc/

If you consider that an identifier follows this regular expression [_A-Za-z][_A-Za-z0-9]*,then just consider that a zinc identifier can be a sequence of one or more identifiers separated by blanks. The grammar of zinc permit this.

e.g.:

or

becomes:

More information here.

Featured in today's episode of "What could possibly go wrong?"

(that could be a great name for a blog)

Offline SiliconWizardTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2023, 06:05:50 am »
Yes, this is not the same Zinc though.
So, looks like we found 2 Zincs for the same price.

To be fair, the first one is a bit less funky.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2023, 06:26:22 am »
Is it re-inventing the wheel or perhaps just trying to build better spokes?
iratus parum formica

Online Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2023, 06:33:37 am »

e.g.:

or

becomes:

More information here.

Imagine the possibilities when combined with Sherlock Holmes' multilingual keyword feature!  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: newbrain

Offline AndyBeez

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2023, 08:25:19 am »
By making the spokes optional... ??? wut?

Is this an April fool joke? I am trying to think of a language where spaces in variable/object/clsss definitions are possible. I think you can use emojis in some kiddyScript, but not whitespace.

I'm sure over the next ten minutes, Zn will be the next big thing - with former C and Fe2O3 developers demanding megabuck salaries, whilst working from the home of their university dorm rooms.

It claims it's easier to write, read and understand. So find any new language that does not make this claim? From Lua to Swift, React to Rust, when you need a language to do difficult stuff then, it gets complex quickly. Under the hood Zn can be a wrapper around C++ ??? wut?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 08:50:50 am by AndyBeez »

Offline DimitriP

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2023, 08:33:22 am »
Yes, this is not the same Zinc though.
So, looks like we found 2 Zincs for the same price.

To be fair, the first one is a bit less funky.

There is at least one more .... "Zinc modeling language".  https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10601-008-9041-4

I'm kinda glad I looked up the wrong zinc, because I'm allergic to spaces in directory names/ folders , filenames and as it turns out variable names too :)

If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline DimitriP

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2023, 08:46:04 am »

I'm sure over the next ten minutes, Zn will be the next big thing - with former C and Fe2O3 developers demanding megabuck salaries, whilst working from the home of their university dorm rooms.

It claims it's easier to write, read and understand. So find any new language that does not make this claim? From Lua to Swift, React to Rust, when you need a language to do difficult stuff then, it gets complex quickly. Under the hood Zn can be a wrapper around C++ ??? wut?

Hey, the "easier" it is to learn , the more people you can pay less to learn/use it and be "productive". Great for new projects or rerwiting old projects that will now be cheaper to "maintain" - until the next "easy-to-learn" language comes out !

Online DiTBho

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2023, 12:40:29 pm »
Imagine the possibilities when combined with Sherlock Holmes' multilingual keyword feature!  :-DD

lol  :-DD
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

Online newbrain

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2023, 07:18:18 am »
Is this an April fool joke? I am trying to think of a language where spaces in variable/object/clsss definitions are possible. I think you can use emojis in some kiddyScript, but not whitespace.
Kids these days...
Have you ever used FORTRAN?
(I think whitespace in identifiers is no longer possible in Fortran 90 free form code).
Nandemo wa shiranai wa yo, shitteru koto dake.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2023, 07:26:55 am »
Kids these days...

Sometimes I wonder if these spawn langs are simply the work of student thesis. Or begin life that way.
iratus parum formica

Online DiTBho

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2023, 09:15:45 am »
think whitespace in identifiers is no longer possible in Fortran 90 free form code

yup, removed.
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

The following users thanked this post: newbrain

Offline SiliconWizardTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2023, 07:29:02 pm »

Hey, the "easier" it is to learn , the more people you can pay less to learn/use it and be "productive". Great for new projects or rerwiting old projects that will now be cheaper to "maintain" - until the next "easy-to-learn" language comes out !

You're right about that. One good reason those apparently "easy" languages get hyped is because they are promising to reduce development costs, which many business owners will buy without a second thought.

Oddly/funnily enough, then comes Rust, which gets almost equally hyped, but is one of the most elitist programming languages I've ever seen.

That may not be so odd after all. Dumbing down the masses gives birth to more inequalities and the raise of a more influent elite, with less and less room for anything in between.
The same can be more generally witnessed with education. Many western countries have been dumbing down their curriculums, witht the idea that would improve equality of chances. In the end, all it does is lower the value of degrees, increase competition and increase elitism.

Just a thought.

Online DiTBho

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2023, 07:36:52 pm »
repurposing my-c for education:o :o :o

Online DiTBho

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2023, 07:39:09 pm »
kidding, but in 2001 Dalsemi tried to repurpose Java-v1 for education with microcontrollers.
Yes, they did, and for five years, it worked!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf