Electronics > Projects, Designs, and Technical Stuff

[Audiophile warning] Designing a very loud speaker

<< < (3/3)

coromonadalix:

--- Quote from: richnormand on June 13, 2021, 10:19:07 pm ---How about this one then?
https://blog.sciencemuseum.org.uk/in-search-of-perfect-sound-introducing-britains-largest-horn-loudspeaker/

Lots of 8 ohm compression drivers available.

:palm:

--- End quote ---

I think it was tested in a desert and heard few km's away ??  or a larger version of it ??

mansaxel:

--- Quote from: coromonadalix on June 14, 2021, 01:54:52 am ---I think it was tested in a desert and heard few km's away ??  or a larger version of it ??

--- End quote ---

A couple kilometers is no problem; I've done it on numerous occasions. All it takes is a reasonably (but not very) large PA system.

I especially would like to tell the story of my time as Head Audio Engineer at the 40th World Ploughing Contest, in Kattarp, Scania, Sweden, back in 1993. Since ploughing consumes the playing field (all competetive ploughing is done on stubbly fields or grassland) the spectators and the commentary has to move with the action.

We designed a mobile sound system carried by a telehandler which also was towing a genset and capable of carrying on into the fields. Speaker system was 2" drivers on radial horns and 2x12" drivers on front loaded horns, driven via a active crossover and perhaps 2KW of amplification. We limited the bandwidth to 200Hz and up, to get more energy into the speech band. Nice sounding, with intelligibility,  out to 2km, and heard way beyond.

Deployment consisted of parking and unhooking the genset, then moving the telehandler so the speaker cluster hung above the genset, and hoisting it in the air. Start generator, connect speaker cables, turn on mixer, graphical EQ, crossover, and amps. Quick sound check, and get the mike to the MC. Time from arrival, perhaps 15 minutes.

Gyro:
I'm not sure it's been specifically highlighted, but the other major advantage of proper horns is controlled dispersion. Sending the sound where you want it rather than 'lighting up' the whole landscape make a huge difference to efficiency and power requirements.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version