Electronics > Projects, Designs, and Technical Stuff

[Audiophile warning] Designing a very loud speaker

(1/3) > >>

Sudo_apt-get_install_yum:
Hello everyone!

I’m planning to build a very loud loud-speaker, that is the only goal. I wanted your guy’s input since i know nothing about audio, except the electrical part of it.

The speaker doesn’t have to sound good or be pleasant to the ears, just make a lot of noise. So the natural amplifier of choice would be a class-D amp driving a powerful tweeter!

The design ive though of so far:

Directional and mono.

Speaker:
8-ohm tweeter.
200W
106dB
52€
https://www.soundimports.eu/en/visaton-hth-87.html

Electrical:
Texas instruments TPA3251/55 configured as PBTL, I already have a tested and working implementation of this circuit, only problem is that there are no characteristics for 8-ohm speakers so I’m not sure how well it would work.

Infineon IRS2452AM, seems to do the job but never tried this IC.

Driving it with a BJT but the power dissipation would be immense so not too sure about it.

Driving it with a FET but not sure how to make the sound relatively good, I’m worried the sound would turn into screeching if I simplify the driver too much.

I’m still just in the planning phase so any input would be appreciated, especially from audiophiles!
I’m trying to keep the costs down hence the 8-ohm tweeter, it was the cheapest i could find.

Please let me know if there is a better approach to making a loud loud-speaker, the main goal is to produce a lot of sound while still being able to hear the underlying song i.e. no air-horns etc. but high THD is okey.

NiHaoMike:

--- Quote from: Sudo_apt-get_install_yum on June 13, 2021, 06:03:41 pm ---Please let me know if there is a better approach to making a loud loud-speaker, the main goal is to produce a lot of sound while still being able to hear the underlying song i.e. no air-horns etc. but high THD is okey.

--- End quote ---
What about PA or siren speakers? I wouldn't dismiss air horns right away, if you had an array of them at different frequencies and a way to quickly switch them on and off, you can definitely play music with it - basically a pipe organ.

themadhippy:
a horn loaded speaker is were its at if you just want LOUD

Messtechniker:
Built some 50 years ago a stereo system with big horns (x-over at 200 Hz!). We needed 2x4 15 in. Electrovoice bass units to match horn efficiency and to get the frequency response right. The horn need a bit of eq. at around 10 kHz. Then even violins sounded great. To the surprise of everybody. Was operated in a large Cologne disco (Weisshausstrasse, for those who happen to know the place) for many years. Best sounding PA I've ever heard. Because I had, and still have sightly oversensitive hearing, I always stayed some 30 m away from these beasts. Great fun.

The Soulman:
What are your bandwidth and size requirements?
A large horn loaded (100 volt) PA-loudspeaker might do a lot better than that little visaton, especially below 2500Hz.

Something like this:

If you need just one for some crazy project I'd have a look at the local adverts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version