Author Topic: [Audiophile warning] Designing a very loud speaker  (Read 1548 times)

Offline Sudo_apt-get_install_yumTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
[Audiophile warning] Designing a very loud speaker
« on: June 13, 2021, 06:03:41 pm »
Hello everyone!

I’m planning to build a very loud loud-speaker, that is the only goal. I wanted your guy’s input since i know nothing about audio, except the electrical part of it.

The speaker doesn’t have to sound good or be pleasant to the ears, just make a lot of noise. So the natural amplifier of choice would be a class-D amp driving a powerful tweeter!

The design ive though of so far:

Directional and mono.

Speaker:
8-ohm tweeter.
200W
106dB
52€
https://www.soundimports.eu/en/visaton-hth-87.html

Electrical:
Texas instruments TPA3251/55 configured as PBTL, I already have a tested and working implementation of this circuit, only problem is that there are no characteristics for 8-ohm speakers so I’m not sure how well it would work.

Infineon IRS2452AM, seems to do the job but never tried this IC.

Driving it with a BJT but the power dissipation would be immense so not too sure about it.

Driving it with a FET but not sure how to make the sound relatively good, I’m worried the sound would turn into screeching if I simplify the driver too much.

I’m still just in the planning phase so any input would be appreciated, especially from audiophiles!
I’m trying to keep the costs down hence the 8-ohm tweeter, it was the cheapest i could find.

Please let me know if there is a better approach to making a loud loud-speaker, the main goal is to produce a lot of sound while still being able to hear the underlying song i.e. no air-horns etc. but high THD is okey.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
Re: [Audiophile warning] Designing a very loud speaker
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 08:57:39 pm »
Please let me know if there is a better approach to making a loud loud-speaker, the main goal is to produce a lot of sound while still being able to hear the underlying song i.e. no air-horns etc. but high THD is okey.
What about PA or siren speakers? I wouldn't dismiss air horns right away, if you had an array of them at different frequencies and a way to quickly switch them on and off, you can definitely play music with it - basically a pipe organ.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 09:12:18 pm »
a horn loaded speaker is were its at if you just want LOUD

Offline Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 09:44:45 pm »
Built some 50 years ago a stereo system with big horns (x-over at 200 Hz!). We needed 2x4 15 in. Electrovoice bass units to match horn efficiency and to get the frequency response right. The horn need a bit of eq. at around 10 kHz. Then even violins sounded great. To the surprise of everybody. Was operated in a large Cologne disco (Weisshausstrasse, for those who happen to know the place) for many years. Best sounding PA I've ever heard. Because I had, and still have sightly oversensitive hearing, I always stayed some 30 m away from these beasts. Great fun.
Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter

Online The Soulman

• Frequent Contributor
  • The sky is the limit!
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2021, 09:51:00 pm »
What are your bandwidth and size requirements?
A large horn loaded (100 volt) PA-loudspeaker might do a lot better than that little visaton, especially below 2500Hz.

Something like this:

If you need just one for some crazy project I'd have a look at the local adverts.

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2021, 10:19:07 pm »
Repair, Renew, Reuse, Recycle, Rebuild, Reduce, Recover, Repurpose, Restore, Refurbish, Recondition, Renovate

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2021, 11:06:35 pm »
Hello everyone!

I’m planning to build a very loud loud-speaker, that is the only goal. I wanted your guy’s input since i know nothing about audio, except the electrical part of it.

Hej!

I think you'll find that -- as others have said -- horns are the way to go. If you're OK with buying a drive unit, something like the Community RSH-462 will fit the specification, if not the price point. The Visaton you found will just catch fire. That's what Visatons do, well, except for sounding like an 80's German Metal album, regardless what you play through them.  Further, the RSH-462 arrays really nicely, if you need wider coverage or more SPL.

Offline mindcrime

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2021, 12:00:53 am »
except for sounding like an 80's German Metal album, regardless what you play through them.

That actually sounds awesome! Imagine a speaker where everything comes out sounding like Accept, Sodom or Kreator!!! That mioht just be the best thing since sliced bread!

Offline Trader

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2021, 01:08:40 am »

Online Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2021, 01:43:25 am »
iratus parum formica

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2021, 01:54:52 am »
How about this one then?
https://blog.sciencemuseum.org.uk/in-search-of-perfect-sound-introducing-britains-largest-horn-loudspeaker/

Lots of 8 ohm compression drivers available.

:palm:

I think it was tested in a desert and heard few km's away ??  or a larger version of it ??

« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 01:58:41 am by coromonadalix »

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2021, 08:49:15 am »
I think it was tested in a desert and heard few km's away ??  or a larger version of it ??

A couple kilometers is no problem; I've done it on numerous occasions. All it takes is a reasonably (but not very) large PA system.

I especially would like to tell the story of my time as Head Audio Engineer at the 40th World Ploughing Contest, in Kattarp, Scania, Sweden, back in 1993. Since ploughing consumes the playing field (all competetive ploughing is done on stubbly fields or grassland) the spectators and the commentary has to move with the action.

We designed a mobile sound system carried by a telehandler which also was towing a genset and capable of carrying on into the fields. Speaker system was 2" drivers on radial horns and 2x12" drivers on front loaded horns, driven via a active crossover and perhaps 2KW of amplification. We limited the bandwidth to 200Hz and up, to get more energy into the speech band. Nice sounding, with intelligibility,  out to 2km, and heard way beyond.

Deployment consisted of parking and unhooking the genset, then moving the telehandler so the speaker cluster hung above the genset, and hoisting it in the air. Start generator, connect speaker cables, turn on mixer, graphical EQ, crossover, and amps. Quick sound check, and get the mike to the MC. Time from arrival, perhaps 15 minutes.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2021, 05:52:37 pm »
I'm not sure it's been specifically highlighted, but the other major advantage of proper horns is controlled dispersion. Sending the sound where you want it rather than 'lighting up' the whole landscape make a huge difference to efficiency and power requirements.
Best Regards, Chris

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf