Author Topic: A 350V/100mA PSU  (Read 757 times)

Offline ElectronSurfTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
A 350V/100mA PSU
« on: July 23, 2021, 08:14:06 am »
I finished building a high voltage constant current source that I'm going to use it for testing diodes and leakage currents. I'm just a hobbyist, I'm sure there are errors and mistakes in the schematic/built.

I'm posting this here so that I can get reviews and improve my current and next designs, any suggestion is very much appreciated.

Pictures of the built: https://imgur.com/a/rbcGN4L

The schematic is attached.

• Regular Contributor
Re: A 350V/100mA PSU
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2021, 05:15:43 pm »
May I have your opinions please?

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 05:28:46 pm »
I'm not clear about the connections at J4, so I have to guess where stuff goes.

What is the source for the AC input at J2?

You haven't shown the MCU control circuitry, perhaps you could describe its operation?

If I understand this correctly, the entire output is floating at a voltage of about 350V above your 'GND' symbol.  Is that sufficiently isolated so that you could safely connect the negative output terminal to a physical ground?  There's a lot of energy there.

If it is reliable, it looks like a very interesting and handy project.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2021, 06:24:17 pm »
J4 is the output, it's connected to a switch and that will connect the output banana plugs to the source or a 1K resistor to discharge the test capacitor.

J2 is a transformer with 12 taps with different voltages from 8V to 350V that can output 250mA max. I'm switching between the taps with a selector.

The MCU acts as a meter, measuring and displaying output voltage and current, plus a few more functions.

If the output current range set to 1mA it's perfectly safe, but at 100mA range it definitely have a nasty shock.

The floating ground is limiting the current, there's no limit on the actual ground...

I posted a link to the images of the device, the transformer is visible there.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 06:31:43 pm by ElectronSurf »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf