Author Topic: 5 Transistor ESR Meter Design  (Read 304907 times)

Offline Jay_Diddy_BTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: 5 Transistor ESR Meter Design
« Reply #100 on: March 01, 2016, 10:51:10 am »
Hi,

The 5 transistor ESR meter use parts that most people will have in their junk box. The circuit can be built with just about any transistors. The only parts that are critical are the two rectifiers in meter circuit. I used 1N5711.

The $20.00 device is capable of a lot more measurements than the ESR meter.

The ESR meter can measure the capacitors in circuit, this means you don't have to remove them for measurement. There are, of course, some exceptions. If you have two or more capacitors connected in parallel you can not measure the ESR of the individual capacitors.

I also designed the ESR meter Adapter.

This can be found in this thread:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/esr-meter-adapter-design-and-construction/

In many ways this better than the 5 transistor meter, it is really robust, You can apply a charged capacitor or even line voltage, without damaging the adapter. This is really important if you are working on SMPS, because sooner or later you find a charged capacitor. It does use a few parts that you might not have in your junk box.

Regards,

Jay_Diddy_B

@m3vuv

thought the copper pour was better tbh,uses less etchant,is the image mirrored and ready to print and iron on?,cheers.

The image is mirrored and ready to iron on. I have marked dimensions for you to check.

Offline mauroh

• Frequent Contributor
    • Mauro Pintus
« Reply #101 on: March 01, 2016, 11:40:09 am »
Wow really nice, thank you!!  :-+

Mauro

Offline m3vuv

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2016, 11:52:48 pm »
NICE ONE,what a star !,cheers.

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103 on: March 02, 2016, 06:38:28 pm »
Hi,

The 5 transistor ESR meter use parts that most people will have in their junk box. The circuit can be built with just about any transistors. The only parts that are critical are the two rectifiers in meter circuit. I used 1N5711.

Can you recommend through-hole alternatives for the 1N5711 diodes?

The following users thanked this post: m3vuv

Offline fpliuzzi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #104 on: March 02, 2016, 07:27:25 pm »
Can you recommend through-hole alternatives for the 1N5711 diodes?

The through hole version of the 1N5711 Schottky diode is still readily available...

www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/STMicroelectronics/1N5711/?qs=FITO%2F%2FQgYDnH7pJ7rS2FRA%3D%3D

Offline DarkZero

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #105 on: March 16, 2016, 09:26:39 am »
can i use BAT41 instead of 1N5711 ?

http://www.vishay.com/docs/85659/bat41.pdf

Offline EntropyWizard

• Contributor
    • GitHub
« Reply #106 on: May 05, 2016, 03:13:02 pm »
Hi, thought I would post my build of the discrete version of the circuit. It could still use a bit of work on the graphic arts, but I built it about a year and a half ago and it's working fine as is (on the same batteries!)  I don't use it quite as much as I thought I would since I picked up an LRC meter at a university surplus auction cheap.

Main variations on the original are use of 2N4401/2N4403 transistors and SD101A schottky diodes.  I also dropped the voltage to 4V.  The voltage regulator is  a Microchip 1702 4V LDO.  The circuit is built up on a 11 by 24 hole standard protoboard. The protection diodes and the meter tuning resistor are soldered freeform to the terminal posts. The meter is a ancient Micronta (Radio Shack) one I've had sitting around for years. I added a power on LED as well.

The case is 1/4" poplar finished with a stain and oil finish. The panel is 1/8" hard-board (Masonite) coated with black gloss enamel spray paint. The meter face was just marked off using various resistors to calibrate it.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107 on: May 05, 2016, 04:36:06 pm »
entwiz,

It looks great!!

Thank you for sharing.

Regards,

Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: May 05, 2016, 10:08:23 pm »
Hi group,

If anybody has difficulty getting the ESR meter to work, there is some useful information in this thread:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/jay-diddy-5-transistor-esr-meter/msg933224/#msg933224

I have posted the waveforms that can be expected.

Here is a schematic showing the DC voltages:

Regards,

Jay_Diddy_B

The following users thanked this post: blackdog, kripton2035, karchiba, LA7SJA, Fisher77, kallek

Offline anda

« Reply #109 on: October 28, 2016, 03:49:02 pm »
Any one have the pcb ready for print for this esr?

The following users thanked this post: hg1dfb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110 on: October 31, 2016, 01:58:14 am »

I might be able to help you. What are you looking for?

Are you looking for a picture of the artwork so that you can do toner transfer?

Are you looking for the Gerber files so that you can have the board made?

Are you looking to build a SMD version like my original unit or a thru hole version?

Let me know and I will see if I can help.

Regards,

Jay_Diddy_B

Offline w2aew

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #111 on: November 09, 2016, 04:47:23 am »
Since I think this 5 transistor ESR meter design is very clever, I decided to take a closer look at it in my latest "Circuit Fun" video:

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

Offline Fisher77

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #112 on: November 09, 2016, 07:28:59 pm »

I might be able to help you. What are you looking for?

Are you looking for a picture of the artwork so that you can do toner transfer?

Are you looking for the Gerber files so that you can have the board made?

Are you looking to build a SMD version like my original unit or a thru hole version?

Let me know and I will see if I can help.

Regards,

Jay_Diddy_B

After reading through this thread, I am confused as to what schematic goes with what. I am interested in the through hole version. Can you post the schematic, the component layout, and image for the through hole toner transfer together?

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 07:30:55 pm by Fisher77 »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113 on: November 10, 2016, 01:33:45 am »

After reading through this thread, I am confused as to what schematic goes with what. I am interested in the through hole version. Can you post the schematic, the component layout, and image for the through hole toner transfer together?

Thanks

Hi,

Here is a set of matching documents.

Note R24 is typically 12k Ohms but may need some adjustment. The 10K pot is place in series with the 50uA meter.

For this board:

The board size is 3.00 x 1.75 inches.

Regards,

Jay_Diddy_B
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 12:03:09 am by Jay_Diddy_B »

The following users thanked this post: kripton2035, Cliff Matthews, Fisher77

Offline Fisher77

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #114 on: November 11, 2016, 05:43:43 pm »
Thanks for posting all the files together Jay_Diddy_B.

What would be the best analog meter to purchase for this?

I have a couple lying around, both are microamperes meteres, and are 50uA. I have no idea what the resistance of them is. I tried looking one up, it is a Modutec 930031-214(number on the front), but I found noting on it. The other just says made in Japan on it. I am fairly new to the electronics game, and have not messed with analog meters till now. I appreciate the help.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 05:46:43 pm by Fisher77 »

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115 on: November 11, 2016, 06:05:09 pm »
Whichever one looks best to you, and where you can carefully dismantle it to change the scale ( or have a conversion table next to it if not) on it. the circuit will work with pretty much any 50uA meter, as the trimmer pot R24 ( a 10k pot for scaling) will handle pretty much any meter of 50uA, and is simple to calibrate by shorting the leads and setting for full scale on the meter.

The following users thanked this post: Fisher77

Offline joseph nicholas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #116 on: November 11, 2016, 06:43:51 pm »
I have searched for a voltmeter for this circuit and it would be better to get a jelly bean analog multimeter to house the circuit board and provide a simple set of test lead connections for the whole unit.   

I found a few on ebay for less than 5 usd. 

The only consideration is if the meter movement could be dissassembled to put the graphics inside.

jnicolas

The following users thanked this post: Fisher77

Offline Fisher77

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #117 on: November 11, 2016, 08:02:08 pm »
Whichever one looks best to you, and where you can carefully dismantle it to change the scale ( or have a conversion table next to it if not) on it. the circuit will work with pretty much any 50uA meter, as the trimmer pot R24 ( a 10k pot for scaling) will handle pretty much any meter of 50uA, and is simple to calibrate by shorting the leads and setting for full scale on the meter.

Thanks SeanB.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 09:58:09 pm by Fisher77 »

Offline Radio Tech

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #118 on: November 11, 2016, 08:14:21 pm »
Thanks for posting the through hole hole files. Have two boards eching now.
Got my interest up after watching Alans video.

Offline alin_im

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #119 on: November 11, 2016, 10:01:16 pm »
Thank you very much for the design !!!  I have some noob questions if its ok. Can I use 1n4148 diodes instead of es1j and also can I use a 1mA full deflection meter instead of a 50uA if I add a shunt resistor ?

One man's 'magic' is another man's engineering. 'Supernatural' is a null word. - Robert A. Heinlein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120 on: November 11, 2016, 10:32:39 pm »
Thank you very much for the design !!!  I have some noob questions if its ok. Can I use 1n4148 diodes instead of es1j and also can I use a 1mA full deflection meter instead of a 50uA if I add a shunt resistor ?

The ES1J diodes are to provide some level of protection against charged capacitors. The 1n4148 will not provide enough protection.

The circuit is designed to use a 50uA meter movement, it will be difficult to get the circuit to work with a 1mA meter.

Regards,

Jay_Diddy_B

Offline alin_im

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #121 on: November 11, 2016, 11:14:59 pm »
Thank you for the advice, I will try with other diodes 1n4007 for example, also do you know where I can get a 50uA  :bullshit: ? On ebay they dont specify this spec, or do you know what I can change in the design to adapt with my 1mA meter?

The ES1J diodes are to provide some level of protection against charged capacitors. The 1n4148 will not provide enough protection.

The circuit is designed to use a 50uA meter movement, it will be difficult to get the circuit to work with a 1mA meter.

Regards,

Jay_Diddy_B
One man's 'magic' is another man's engineering. 'Supernatural' is a null word. - Robert A. Heinlein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122 on: November 12, 2016, 01:35:15 am »
Hi group,

I have started the construction of the thru-hole version of the 5 transistor ESR meter.

Here is a picture of the blank PCB:

This was milled and drilled on my LPKF Protomat C60.

A few people have been asking about the 50uA meter. Here is a couple of pictures of the one that I used:

It is not critical. You need to be able open the meter to change the scale. This one is 'Hope Sun'. I am sure that 'Hopeless Moon' will work just as well  ;D

The ESR meter does not need to be super accurate, you just getting an indication if a capacitor is good or bad.

Regards,

Jay_Diddy_B

The following users thanked this post: w2aew, SeanB, edavid, Fisher77

Online kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #123 on: November 12, 2016, 07:51:03 am »
I made the poptronix esr meter (which is more or less like this one but with AOP instead of transistors the principle is the same)
I did not have any suitable meter display like this one.
so I made a small circuit with an LM3914 a small adjustable resistor , and 10 leds, it is more than enought to see if a cap is bad or not.

Offline Radio Tech

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #124 on: November 12, 2016, 03:45:42 pm »
How would a 1N34A work instead of a 1N5711?
I have now other substitute in my junk and is the only other part I do not have.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf