Author Topic: a high side load switch made from n channel and p channel mosfet working princip  (Read 430 times)

Offline oppelTopic starter

Hello, I did research on the internet to understand the working principle of the circuit you see in the image, but I could not find an article that explains exactly how the N-channel and P-channel MOSFETs used here work according to their transmission cut-off states. I would appreciate it if you could give detailed information about the working principle of this circuit.

Offline moffy

• Super Contributor
When 'enable' is low then Q1 is 'off', and the gate of Q2 is pulled up to its source by R2 and it too is 'off'. When 'enable' is high then Q1 is 'on' and the gate of Q2 is pulled down to 0V turning Q2 'on'.

The following users thanked this post: oppel

Offline BennoG

• Regular Contributor
This type of driver will only work up to about 20V, above that you need extra protection to not go above the maximum Vgs value.

Benno

Offline Terry Bites

• Super Contributor
  • Recovering Electrical Engineer
For higher voltages, you can split R2 to keep Vgs to a safe level.2151817-0

Offline BennoG

• Regular Contributor
Yes that is a possibility, myne had to work from 12V to 50V, so that made it a little more complex.

Benno

Offline Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
Yes that is a possibility, myne had to work from 12V to 50V, so that made it a little more complex.

Benno

Meh, replace R2a in the previous schematic with a TVS diode, or better, add a TVS diode to limit the maximum gate voltage, but leave  the resistor so it will firmly turn the FET off when it should be off.

Circuits like this switch quite slowly, because of the combination of resistors with the gate capacitance. This is OK for switching loads occasionally (such as also done with Relays), but if you want to switch loads fast (such as with PWM) then this slow switching may cause a lot of trouble and the FET is likely to let out it's magic smoke and die in a puff or a loud bang.

Offline temperance

• Frequent Contributor
This is how I do that.

The base drive voltage together with the emitter resistor form a current sink. (Udrive-0.7V)/ R1

Select R2 such that the voltage across R2 never exceeds the maximum gate source voltage for M1.

You can adjust the turn on speed with C1 (Miller integrator) to prevent high current surges if the load is capacitive.

You can add a diode in series with C1 if only the turn on speed should be adjusted.
Some species start the day by screaming their lungs out. Something which doesn't make sense at first. But as you get older it all starts to make sense.

Online HwAoRrDk

• Super Contributor
It should also be noted that R3 in OP's schematic is of minor relevance to the switching functionality. It could be removed.

It only serves to add a small constant load to the output, and will also (slowly) discharge the output when Q2 is switched off.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf