Author Topic: Restoration & upgrade of 1960s Markel Heetaire space heater  (Read 15459 times)

Offline iroc86Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Restoration & upgrade of 1960s Markel Heetaire space heater
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2020, 01:47:48 pm »
Here's the schematic for the fan controller board. There's obviously more going on here than in the original design, but I made a few changes to help with safety, reliability, and performance.

- Added internal 15 A circuit breaker CB1.

- Added earth grounding to chassis.

- Changed from daisy-chain wiring to discrete terminal blocks for line and neutral.

- Changed arrangement of thermostat SW1 and control switch SW2. This will now switch only the hot side.

- Added neon indicator DS1.

- Added fused triac driver with adjustable phase control.

- Added relay control for "high" heater element. The reason is twofold: 1) try to eliminate some contact arcing on the vintage, irreplaceable SW2, and 2) by tapping the relay coil after F1, disable the "high" element if the fan driver somehow fails in an overcurrent situation. This ensures that the "high" element won't come on without the fan, preventing overheating.

- Added EMI line filter. This probably isn't necessary due to the simplicity of the circuit, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to reduce noise from a triac chopper sitting on the mains.

Offline kanuk

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2021, 10:00:56 pm »
Look for this white tape on motor. Are you sure its  not asbestos?  :scared:

Offline kanuk

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2021, 10:14:09 pm »
 I forgot about wires....

Offline iroc86Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2021, 10:57:51 pm »
Ha, my post is back from the dead. :)

kanuk, it wouldn't surprise me if the tape and insulation contained asbestos. I have two of these heaters, one from 1967 and another from 1972, so it's fair game. Another reason to refurbish, I suppose. FWIW, I ended up finishing the heater last year. I stopped posting updates once this thread, umm, devolved after having to defend my reasons for replacing all of the old bits. :-//

I'm actually in the process of rebuilding another one. If anyone's interested, I can share some pictures.

The following users thanked this post: kanuk

Offline kanuk

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2021, 12:04:33 am »
Hi Dear,  I find solution for you.. some protection  :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf