Author Topic: A simple Geiger Counter  (Read 362 times)

Offline globoyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
A simple Geiger Counter
« on: April 15, 2024, 07:12:58 pm »
Even though I don't have any real reason to have one, ever since I was a kid I wanted a Geiger Counter.  So, long after I was a kid, I finally made a simple one and have amused myself and family pointing out our radioactive dish and glassware.  It's based around the LND712 tube (alpha-beta-gamma detection) with a 3D printed enclosure.  Even has a 555 chip  8)

I don't suppose many people will copy my design since there is a bit of assembly but I put it up on github https://github.com/danjulio/Geiger-Counter.  The part that might be interesting to those who already have the high voltage circuit and a tube is the GUI display which runs on a super cheap ESP32 dev board ($8.33USD at https://www.lilygo.cc/products/lilygo%C2%AE-ttgo-t-display-1-14-inch-lcd-esp32-control-board?variant=42159376466101).

The following users thanked this post: ZigmundRat

Offline shapirus

• Super Contributor
Re: A simple Geiger Counter
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2024, 07:21:01 pm »
Is it actually displaying reasonable numbers? 6.87 uSv/hr is about 40 times the normal background level. Was it measuring a nearby source of radioactivity when that photo was taken?

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2024, 07:23:12 pm »
i wanted to make caps that you can put on that style so you can put filters for different radiation. I think its possible to do IIRC

Offline globoyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2024, 07:31:52 pm »
@shaprius - yes, it was sitting next to a plate that has a radioactive glaze.  Where I live, I get about 20 CPM background radiation.  Using the 0.00833 CPM to uSv/Hr conversation factor I am using in this uncalibrated device that corresponds to around 0.17 uSv/hr.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf