Author Topic: Accurate sine wave in terms of amplitude  (Read 1552 times)

Online Terry Bites

• Super Contributor
  • Recovering Electrical Engineer
Re: Accurate sine wave in terms of amplitude
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2024, 03:39:24 pm »
That DDS chip has an output stabilty quoted as "200  ppm/°C" not great, but then DDS is aimed at RF where no one cares much about precise amplitudes.

Brew up your own DDS, you don't need all that parameter register nonsense or a micro doodad to control it.

Back in the day, before low cost microcontroller platforms had been dreamt of, I made a sine source for an LVDT sensor using a lookup table on a M27C1024 eprom (still to be found on ebay and in my 90's junk box). I used a TCXO and some counters to create the address lines, 74LS590s but dont quote me on that. Driving an AD669 bolted to a REF01 10v reference. A fat buffer amp on the end and I had a 16 bit rock solid 10v pp waveform. It was overkill for my LVDT but fun to make. There's none of that control loop rubbish to worry about here.  A proud day in Terryland, no pay riase though.  Of course, you can easily tune it using the counter's clocks. Add your own precsion attenuators and gain. A very simple antialias filter might be needed to polish off remaining clock residue.

Calculate a Sine LUT here www.daycounter.com/Calculators/Sine-Generator-Calculator.phtml
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 04:05:39 pm by Terry Bites »

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2024, 04:24:01 pm »
But I do know today that I am iterating options how to generate sine wave - as clarified in the initial message including an example circuit.

Quadrature oscillator might be "the fresh idea I was looking for". Just that none of the first examples I tried to simulate on LTspice didn't work. Like this one:
Probably a simulation related issue - I need to analyze it further...

Whilst that circuit has two waveform at 90', it also has 3 RC elements, so it is less suited to a knob controlled oscillator.
When simulating such oscillators, you need to adjust the idealized gain, to account for real opamp effects.
You then find a trade off between oscillator startup time and clipping of one node when stable.

Lab instruments (such as the Krohn-Hites) using quadrature oscillators require precision resistors on decade switches and precision capacitors on the range switch.
The OP's requirement is for a fixed, non-critical frequency, so matching resistors and capacitors using reasonable meters can give an acceptable solution for non-tunable frequency.

Offline sw_guyTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2024, 07:10:48 pm »
Thank you everyone who gave me ideas to start putting everything together. Based on preliminary simulations quadrature oscillator does exactly what I need. I also registered a few new circuits I can use in the future. One of them is precision rectifier.

Answers:

IanB>Do you develop software by any chance?
Yes.

PCB.Wiz>Do you need to adjust this generator across 1-10kHz and 200mV-5V ?
No. Fixed frequency and fixed amplitude.

xvr>Than use square waves. They can be considered as sinus with a lot of distortion.
I assume this was not a joke because square wave works, but in the final design there are (component level) limitations to use square waves.

Quadrature circuits started to oscillate on LTspice after enabling the "Skip initial operation point solution".

sw guy

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2024, 07:21:42 pm »
Quadrature circuits started to oscillate on LTspice after enabling the "Skip initial operation point solution".

Realise that a frequency stable oscillator will have a high Q and take many cycles to stabilise. If your system requires frequency stability, that can be a simulation problem.

For system simulation, just use a spice voltage source set to output a sine wave. Only after the system works as desired with ideal signal, is it worth simulating with non-ideal signals.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online soldar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2024, 05:41:02 pm »
I have never understood replies like tggzzz. Nothing valuable to say, full of negative load. Waiting for missing parameters. Oh well...

Suggested reply for the next time:
"It depends on the frequency response, output voltage and drive capability. Please give us more detailed specifications in order to give exact opamp examples. However, in general, I can say that typical opamps used for low-frequency applications, which are the common use cases for wien oscillators, are for example LT1632, LT1013, LT1001".

or.... just ignore the question.
Not referring to this specific OP but in general I am with tggzzz. I hate it when someone asks a question and is not even trying to be helpful or show interest. You have to extract information little by little, with much asking and effort. Yes, I can give it a pass but it is still rude on their part..
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf