Author Topic: Analog guy needs help: Bluetooth DAC for audio  (Read 692 times)

Offline Dabbo56Topic starter

• Contributor
Analog guy needs help: Bluetooth DAC for audio
« on: October 01, 2022, 05:56:28 pm »
I'm designing & building a 100 Watt class AB power amp which will be capable of taking a choice of analog inputs. While I'm at it, I would like to add the functionality of being able to play music from my iPhone via Bluetooth. I've spent an hour reading about DACs and CODECs and I'm out of my depth. One solution would be to buy a consumer DAC product and rip out its guts, but I'm hoping there is a more elegant way. So far I've been unable to locate a Bluetooth DAC board which can handle all the currently used CODECs. Help, anyone??
Ancient analog(ue) man lost in a digital world

Offline dietert1

• Super Contributor
    • CADT Homepage
Re: Analog guy needs help: Bluetooth DAC for audio
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2022, 06:37:36 pm »
Searching ebay for "aptX bluetooth audio" i quickly found boards for US$ 20 to 30, that was easy.
One needs to test some for support of codecs and sound quality. How to do that, one can read here:
https://www.sereneaudio.com/blog/how-good-is-bluetooth-audio-at-its-best

Regards, Dieter

The following users thanked this post: Dabbo56

Offline Buriedcode

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2022, 06:39:22 pm »
When you say "codecs" I assume you mean file encoding like AAC and MP3? Or do you mean the codecs Bluetooth uses, SBC, Apt-X etc.. ?

Small Bluetooth dongles are pretty cheap, and you could permenantly place it inside your amp, or buy a small CSR bluetooth audio module: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Receiver-Module-Stereo-Wireless/dp/B07ZZCH11L

These modules have the advantage that you can apply external power - rather than USB micro B, and just provide audio out.  Some offer inputs for buttons for paly/pause/FF/RW etc..  Just be aware that some advertise as "lossless", there is no lossless codec for bluetooth.

I've had success with CSR based modules, specifically CSR8645 and CSRA64215 based.

The following users thanked this post: Dabbo56

Offline Dabbo56Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2022, 01:35:55 am »
Thanks Buriedcode, I’ve gone with the CSR module
Ancient analog(ue) man lost in a digital world

Offline Haenk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2022, 05:26:56 am »
(keep in mind, these BT modules often output a very loud and annoying "melody" when powering up or connecting - check before implementation)

Offline darkspr1te

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2022, 06:22:47 am »
You are not kidding about the annoying power up/connection "melody" , we recently purchased 10 boom boxes for class room use and half had a loud drum roll and the other had Chinese voice , theat was quickly solved by opening and pulling the eeprom , it then defaults to the chips factory but usable settings. not applicable to all devices though.

darkspr1te

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf