Author Topic: Analog Switch to Control Low Voltage AC?  (Read 653 times)

Offline petersanchTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Analog Switch to Control Low Voltage AC?
« on: June 15, 2021, 10:10:26 am »
I have 2 audio amplifiers with output voltages between +10V and -10V. I want to make a digitally controlled switch to control which amplifier is driving the speaker.

The clear choice is a relay for this but I want to do this using FETs if possible to take up little space on the pcb and be inexpensive. I also want the amplifier output to remain as unattenuated as possible.
I found this circuit that uses a p channel and n channel to make an analog switch

I can see this working for positive voltages, but will this be able to control the negative voltages from the amplifiers? Is there a better option for this?

Cheers!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 10:43:48 am by petersanch »

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
Re: Analog Switch to Control Low Voltage AC?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 12:18:38 pm »
The CMOS switches are usually relatively high in resistance (e.g. 50 Ohms range) this is not really practical for a low impedance (e.g. 4 or 8 Ohms) load.
The more practical way is to to have only 1 amplifier and do the switching at the amplifiers input side. Than CMOS switches are a very pratical solution.

If really lower resistance FET swtiching is needed, it would be more the Photo-mos / electronic relais with MOSFET output. Some are relatively low impedance, maybe around 1 Ohms. If needed one can use 2 MOSFETs and a photovoltaic optocoupler to drive the gates. It may not be smaller of lower cost than a relais.

The following users thanked this post: petersanch

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
Re: Analog Switch to Control Low Voltage AC?
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 05:21:23 pm »
Almost all discrete power MOSFETs include the body diode between their drain and source, so they would need to be used in pairs for a total of 4 power MOSFETs per switch.

Solid state relays which use a pair of power MOSFETs in series to isolate their body diodes and have floating drive could work, and you can make one using a photovoltaic optocoupler and a pair of power MOSFETs.  4 MOSFETs are not required because the gate drive signal is isolated.  This method also does not require supply voltages greater than the voltages to be switched.

The following users thanked this post: petersanch

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf