Author Topic: Any ideas how to program this thing?  (Read 521 times)

Offline RasteristTopic starter

• Contributor
Any ideas how to program this thing?
« on: April 15, 2024, 05:20:41 pm »
I received a roughly .375" thick political mailer, and when I opened it a video began playing on an included display and speaker.  I cut/tore off the surrounding cardstock to reveal what you see in AFP.JPG (the displayed image actually looks surprisingly good; it's borked here because the camera is off-axis).  There's a USB C port and the sender included a short USB A-C cable.  When plugged into my PC, the device does not show up in File Explorer (Windows 10), but the Intel Rapid Storage Technology app (which I've never seen before) launches (Intel rapid.JPG). 

I was hoping this could be easily repurposed by simply dragging over a different video file, but I can't find any way to do that after clicking around inside the Intel app, and since it doesn't show up in File Explorer I'm at a loss.  Any ideas?

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
Re: Any ideas how to program this thing?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2024, 07:28:56 pm »
I doubt it is reprogrammable, and the chip is probably a black epoxy blob.  I find it amazing that microcontrollers and lCD's are so cheap they can be sent by bulk mail in the US today as advertising.  I got a less elaborate car ad a year or so ago.

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2024, 12:58:04 am »
could be a simple as :  to put some name "crafted image or video files", anything you put is played ...  seen that  in the past,  or you need more careful teardown to show us the innards ..

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2024, 02:53:25 am »
Does anything show up in Device Manager? It's usually easier to discover what they show up as in Linux. You might need to stop the video or otherwise get it into mass storage mode; they can't both play from and expose the internal flash as mass storage at the same time.
I doubt it is reprogrammable, and the chip is probably a black epoxy blob.  I find it amazing that microcontrollers and lCD's are so cheap they can be sent by bulk mail in the US today as advertising.  I got a less elaborate car ad a year or so ago.
I don't think video players have gotten to the point of COBs yet. Look under the display for the controller and rest of the circuitry. It seems similar to this:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/now-what-can-i-do-with-120x-of-these/

More info on a different one: https://gist.github.com/probonopd/33d94169ceaacc33e814
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 03:01:46 am by amyk »

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2024, 08:39:59 am »
@amyk
Perhaps so.  The LCD advertisement I got just gave a numeric code. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf