Author Topic: Anyone ever made/copied a garage door opener transmitter?  (Read 2222 times)

Offline KTPTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Anyone ever made/copied a garage door opener transmitter?
« on: October 05, 2011, 10:49:36 pm »
Hi guys.  It has been awhile since I have logged on here.

I had a garage door opener we bought to move Frankenstein's monster in our halloween ride a few years ago and recently converted it to a new use - opening our garage door.  I lost one of the transmitters over the years and they are $40 at the store.  Also, they are quite large and I would like one for my motorcycle keychain.

So....I popped the cover off of the xmitter I have and see that it is quite simple.  I have not traced out the circuit yet, but I am guessing it is a little microcontroller that sends a pulse stream to a 49mhz? oscillator circuit.

Anyone ever tried to roll their own?

Offline Jimmy

• Regular Contributor
Re: Anyone ever made/copied a garage door opener transmitter?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 12:04:09 am »
some roller doors have coded transmitters which can be a pain to replicate. You could hot wire it to remote control the push button so you can control it from your mobile phone or something.

Offline Joshua

• Regular Contributor
Anyone ever made/copied a garage door opener transmitter?
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 03:40:05 am »
I suspect it's somewhere advanced else every burglar would whip up something and go around taking what they please. Not for sure tho

Uncle Vernon

Re: Anyone ever made/copied a garage door opener transmitter?
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 05:47:43 am »
Just do a google search for kits and designs there are hundreds about eg: http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=KC5458&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=965#11
But unless you doing it for the sheer heck of building some trivial electronics you can buy fully built rolling codeunits with a receiver and a couple of smallish remotes for around $40.  http://www.rhinoco.com.au/product/RCX

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf