Electronics > Projects, Designs, and Technical Stuff

AR488 Arduino-based GPIB adapter

<< < (156/212) > >>

artag:
Yes, surface mount connectors are not robust, especially when as  small as a USB micro.
There is a design for a housing firther back in the thread. It can be 3d-printed and should give some protection. Ideally I would enclose the entire connector in the shell so you have to take it apart to change the cable. This is also how the HP 82537 housing works - it seems like a captive cable but it can actually be replaced.

RichardM:

--- Quote from: ONLYA on January 26, 2022, 01:38:09 am ---Thanks to WaveyDipole, the problem of the Mega hat is finally found. It is the wrong connection due to my misunderstanding of the GPIB connector orientation and the wrong library directly downloaded from the internet. What a serious mistake I have made! :palm:
I will correct and verify the design and update the status here as soon as possible.
The next thing I probably need to do is to desolder the expensive GPIB connectors...

--- End quote ---

That's great. Looking forward to the update.

Cheers

T3sl4co1l:
Also, PCB pads can be epoxied back down to the board.  Bit of a messy proposition, but done carefully, it can be flat and serviceable (i.e. not glommed up over the pads/pins so you can still desolder the connector in the conventional way).  Or glommed up intentionally, to add reinforcement around the shell, particularly using a filled type epoxy (JB Weld being a common and effective candidate).

Tim

ONLYA:
I finally got it right by reversing the connection. I spent a night trying to desolder the expensive connectors with only the soldering iron and solder sucker. No luck. I spent another night to rewire the route to a new connector and it is still reversed |O Seems like today is my lucky day 8)
Recognise that the instrument beeps and shows "ERROR" when I type "*idn?" although I can see the identity with "++read". Not sure whether this is normal or not.

In the HP34401A software developed by Nx-1997, it is unable to communicate to Bluetooth emulated COM port. With USB connection, it still needs to change the address manually with PuTTy first to make it work.

As it can work with Bluetooth, the device can be powered with a 9V battery for mobility. I have built a small circuit to use TL431 and LED to indicate the voltage level is not less than 7.3V. The circuit resistor config depends on the LED spec. Measure the LED for the best indication.
It is noted that the overall average current consumption with the 9V Vin will be 190mA-210mA idle, ~250mA when working. So one 9V battery will last for 2 hours in theory. It may be around 1 hour or less in practice due to the voltage limitation of Vin.
However, as the 9V battery can still work until 5.4V, I am thinking of adding a voltage booster with 3 TL431 (I have quite a lot TL431 ;D) or a proper voltage regulator to make the battery can be used thoroughly when it is below 7V.
The PCB is small so there is no space for a 9V battery. The battery will be dangling around the device.

I will correct the PCB and update the schematic as soon as possible.

WaveyDipole:
Removing the connector with a soldering iron and solder sucker is likely to be tricky. Sometimes adding a little solder to the joint first to enable better heat coupling helps, but the joints attached to the ground plane can be awkward as the ground plane sucks all the heat away very quickly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version