Author Topic: Arduino due Transistor tester project  (Read 437 times)

Offline liron

• Contributor
Arduino due Transistor tester project
« on: November 22, 2020, 12:10:04 pm »
Hi everyone

It's my final year in college (so i know how transistor works) and i need to build a Mosfet and BJT transistor tester with Arduino due and an external power supply (+-12v), while showing characteristics of the transistor on the pc.

The idea is to connect the transistor (only small size transistors like 2N2222, 2N3819), measure the parameters like IC,IB,VCE from BJT and ID,VGS from FET and so, to biuld graphs with c++ while controling the cuircit that i need to build with the arduino due.
I thought of using Circuit 1 and instead of the LED to connect in some way the Arduino due.
[attachimg=1]

Any ideas or pointers, advices or even if you have something prepared that i can work with will be very helpful.

thank you.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 01:09:17 pm by liron »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
Re: Arduino due Transistor tester project
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 12:57:47 pm »
I'd suggest to start with learning about JFETs and MOSFETs, the different types and their characteristics. And please don't try to measure I_C, I_B or V_CE for a FET. ;) The 2N2222 (AFAIK, there's no 2N222) is an NPN BJT, not a FET. To measure the most important characteristics you'll need a little bit more than elektor's simple test circuit. It's going to be hard work, but you'll learn a lot.

Offline liron

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 01:01:53 pm »
I'd suggest to start with learning about JFETs and MOSFETs, the different types and their characteristics. And please don't try to measure I_C, I_B or V_CE for a FET. ;) The 2N2222 (AFAIK, there's no 2N222) is an NPN BJT, not a FET. To measure the most important characteristics you'll need a little bit more than elektor's simple test circuit. It's going to be hard work, but you'll learn a lot.

i will repost, i guess it's my fault for being misunderstood

ty. 

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 01:30:39 pm »
You could check how the 20$ lcr esr tester work  ?   code source available / schematics    etc ...

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/$20-lcr-esr-transistor-checker-project/msg195093/#msg195093

you could add code to output the read values to an pc and do / export the infos on a graph  ???

« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 01:32:27 pm by coromonadalix »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 02:20:54 pm »
Won't run on an Arduino Due which based on an 3.3V ARM MCU. The basic principles of checking and measuring can be ported, but you'd have to add a switching matrix for a sufficient test voltage. 3.3V are simply too low.

Offline liron

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 02:53:34 pm »
[attachimg=1]
Won't run on an Arduino Due which based on an 3.3V ARM MCU. The basic principles of checking and measuring can be ported, but you'd have to add a switching matrix for a sufficient test voltage. 3.3V are simply too low.

This is why im using an extermal power source of +-12V (not building it).

I"v found this circuit but it is only analog, it doest have any digital capabilities for the tester that i want to build. mybe it can be modify.
[attachimg=1]

« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 03:01:45 pm by liron »

Offline phil from seattle

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2020, 03:03:35 pm »
This should probably be in the beginner section...

This is basically just an ADC problem. Learn how to read voltage higher than your ADC can handle. 

Why the Due'?  A cheap Nano with a fake 386p could do this without breaking a sweat.

Offline liron

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 03:16:32 pm »

Why the Due'?  A cheap Nano with a fake 386p could do this without breaking a sweat.

This is the task I was given, to build the electrical circuit with an Arduino Due that already has ADC and DAC And I believe that's what they have in the Storage.
if you have any ideas how to do it with Arduinoo due and break some sweat it will be very helpful.

thank you  :)

Offline Dave

• Super Contributor
  • I like to measure things.
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2020, 08:43:01 am »
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that slacking off for several years has come back to bite you in the ass.
What they're asking you to do (what I gather from your description) is to design and build a curve tracer, while you're here posting random, completely unrelated 10-component circuits.

You have several options going forward:
  • start learning real freaking fast to try to compensate for lost time and cobble something together,
  • give up,
  • cheat - pay someone else to do it for you. You'll likely get caught the moment they start asking you about the details.
<fellbuendel> it's arduino, you're not supposed to know anything about what you're doing
<fellbuendel> if you knew, you wouldn't be using it

The following users thanked this post: madires

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2020, 11:37:47 am »
Is it me  or you want eevblog members to do your project for you ??  you message tone on reply 7  is ticking me ?

Offline liron

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2020, 11:55:16 am »
Thank's everyone for your advices and concerns.

God forbid i didnt want anyone to do my work mybe i was too blunt with my request, didn't mean to offend anyone.

i was just seeking for some help.
first time building a project and all the info in my head is all over the place, so getting some focus from expert people was my goal.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf