Author Topic: Audio Amp Output Stage  (Read 440 times)

Offline moffyTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Audio Amp Output Stage
« on: March 10, 2024, 04:24:28 am »
I have been working on a friends Arcam AVR360 which has been suffering some serious overheating issues on 3 of the 7 discreet amplifiers. The three bad channels are experiencing thermal runaway and the variable Vbe multiplier just doesn't track anymore. The output stage is a fairly typical class AB bjt power transistor pair (each with a 0.22R emitter resistor) driven by corresponding driver transistors. The power transistors have integral diodes for thermal matching which are used along with a Vbe multiplier, thermally coupled to a driver transistor, to bias the four emitters of the output stage and the 0.22R emitter resistors. The integral diodes provide tracking for the power stage and the Vbe multiplier compensates for the drive transistors. The design is very sensitive to bias mismatch with each +44mV adding 100mA to the bias current and at 90V total supply that's 9W per +44mV per channel, and they all share a common heatsink. The drive transistors on tiny heatsinks get especially hot.
So I have been pondering how to approach biasing the output stage to maintain thermal stability. The output power transistors look good with their integral diodes, but the driver transistors look to be the weak point, with their high dissipation and poorer thermal tracking. It would be nice to use matched transistor pairs like the BCM847 etc., using one transistor for biasing, but they lack the power handling. The simple solution is to use cascode transistors to handle the voltage and power for the driver transistor making the biasing and tracking more robust. It does add a little to the complexity but has the added advantage of increasing the bandwidth of the output stage by a factor of about five times i.e. 1.1MHz BW becomes 5MHz, that will help improve stability when feedback is applied.

a. I have included a couple of AC analyses, one with the cascode transistors and one without showing the BW change.
b. The LTSpice schematic shows two 10ma current sources in the bias chain, in the AVR360 it is these current sources that are modulated but for simplicity I have chosen to use a voltage source V5 with a 1k resistor, for simple open loop simulation of the output stage.
c. The cascode transistors Q2 and Q6 have been chosen purely for convenience of the SPICE model, something else would probably be chosen for a real design.
d. The voltage source V1 is to get the approximately 100ma bias current through the output stage.
e. The capacitor values have no great design reason but should be good enough.
f. There is no current limiting, just keeping it simple.
g. I have included the LTSpice file as well as the BJT library I used.

I don't expect the design is particularly novel, as it is a pretty obvious solution, but I haven't seen it elswhere, however I fully expect someone will show some prior references which would be appreciated. I am interested in what you might consider the pros and cons of the cascoded driver stage are. Mine are:

Pros:
1. Lower temperature rise of drivers.
2. Better matching of each driver, less chance of thermal runaway.
3. Significantly improved BW. and better phase margin as a result.

Cons:
1. More complex, extra components.
2. More base drive current needed for the drivers.
3. Reduced voltage swing.

Your input would be appreciated. :)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 04:29:05 am by moffy »

Offline PCB.Wiz

• Super Contributor
Re: Audio Amp Output Stage
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2024, 05:52:10 am »
I have been working on a friends Arcam AVR360 which has been suffering some serious overheating issues on 3 of the 7 discreet amplifiers. The three bad channels are experiencing thermal runaway and the variable Vbe multiplier just doesn't track anymore. ....
The design is very sensitive to bias mismatch with each +44mV adding 100mA to the bias current and at 90V total supply that's 9W per +44mV per channel, and they all share a common heatsink.
Did this use to work OK ?
What's special / different about the 3 failing channels - are they in the worst place in the middle of the heatsink ?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2024, 06:03:14 am »
I have been working on a friends Arcam AVR360 which has been suffering some serious overheating issues on 3 of the 7 discreet amplifiers. The three bad channels are experiencing thermal runaway and the variable Vbe multiplier just doesn't track anymore. ....
The design is very sensitive to bias mismatch with each +44mV adding 100mA to the bias current and at 90V total supply that's 9W per +44mV per channel, and they all share a common heatsink.
Did this use to work OK ?
What's special / different about the 3 failing channels - are they in the worst place in the middle of the heatsink ?

Not sure what happened to the three channels, I have run some tests, removed some transistors including the power stage and can't find anything wrong, but then I haven't done a lot of testing. No obvious cause as yet, but they are all next to one another on the left outside, perhaps heat?

Offline PCB.Wiz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2024, 07:42:38 am »
I see OnSemi have an appnote here
https://www.onsemi.com/pub/collateral/and8196-d.pdf
where they use output triples so the three diodes available compensate for two pre-driver stages + output.
I see no mention of matching the diodes to the VBE, or if they are even the same process.

They do say
Each of the ThermalTrak audio output devices incorporates Ultrafast diode technology as the temperature sensing device along with the audio output transistor.
which sounds a bit optimistic.

I'm curious - have you cut open one of the power devices to see where the diode is placed ?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2024, 08:09:43 am »
Thanks PCB.Wiz for the article, I'll read it a bit later. All of the output devices still work, one set has passed the tests for gain and breakdown, I don't think I want to destroy working devices. :) I even did some rough temp tests and the diodes seemed to track the Vbe.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 08:11:41 am by moffy »

Offline PCB.Wiz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2024, 08:19:07 am »
What do they use for present drivers & how many power devices are there per amp ?
Are the drivers bolted to the heatsink ?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2024, 08:27:24 am »
If you are interested the service manual with schematics is available at: https://www.manualslib.com/products/Arcam-Avr360-13274839.html
No the drivers are not bolted to the main heatsink.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf