Author Topic: Augmented PCB Debugger (Feedback Requested)  (Read 718 times)

Offline leymaneTopic starter

• 5by5
Augmented PCB Debugger (Feedback Requested)
« on: May 09, 2024, 02:51:38 am »
I am currently working on a smartphone app to help locate components on PCBs using visual overlay. This is an improvement over current methods that require the user to manually match the component locator to the board. The primary goal is to help users test and troubleshoot boards faster and easier.

I made a youtube video to demonstrate my concept. Currently looking for feedback on if it would be useful to anyone. Any suggestions for improvements also welcome.

Here is the video:

The following users thanked this post: xvr

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: Augmented PCB Debugger (Feedback Requested)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2024, 03:28:08 am »
Is this ever an issue? In most cases when I'm debugging a PCB, I have stuff in my hands (probes, soldering iron, etc), and holding the phone and messing with the app is the last thing I want to do.
Alex

Offline Fire Doger

• Regular Contributor
  • Stefanos
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2024, 04:16:27 am »
I think it would be more useful if it was a web app and could work with any video feed like from thermal camera and accept common board files like the ones that BoardViewer supports

The following users thanked this post: ajb

Online oPossum

• Super Contributor
  • Very dangerous - may attack at any time

The following users thanked this post: ajb

Offline leymaneTopic starter

• 5by5
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2024, 04:05:02 pm »
Is this ever an issue? In most cases when I'm debugging a PCB, I have stuff in my hands (probes, soldering iron, etc), and holding the phone and messing with the app is the last thing I want to do.

What about hands-free, voice control? Here is a demo:

Offline xvr

• Regular Contributor
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2024, 06:06:17 pm »
Interesting idea. But in current form it more suitable for octopus, not human  :-// And using phone as display is not convenient - we are only humans, not chameleons, and can't see in 2 (or even more) different directions simultaneously.  |O

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2024, 07:14:42 pm »
Interesting idea. But in current form it more suitable for octopus, not human  :-// And using phone as display is not convenient - we are only humans, not chameleons, and can't see in 2 (or even more) different directions simultaneously.  |O
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline ajb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2024, 08:12:15 pm »
It is definitely a cool project! But I agree with others that it would be more useful on a computer, which has the added benefit of being able to use a better (or at least more suitable) camera.  What could be really cool is getting this sort of overlay in a microscope view, with the system keeping track of where the microscope FOV is on the PCB.  I guess that would need a second larger FOV camera to track the board, but it could be very helpful when working at higher magnifications on a relatively dense board, where it can be hard to keep your bearings. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf