Author Topic: Automotive hardening?  (Read 574 times)

Offline mr_guy99493Topic starter

Automotive hardening?
« on: April 18, 2024, 06:04:39 am »
Hi,
I'm thinking of building a PLC-type module for automotive use.
Lots of 12V IO, relay drivers, CAN bus, bluetooth.

I feel like the automotive use-case may require extra hardening against various effects like noise on the bus due to injectors/sparkplugs etc -> filtering, zeners, surge arrestors?

Questions:
Am I right that there are special considerations required for automotive circuits?
What sort of considerations?
Any good references about how to adapt to those problems?
Reference designs that implement them?

Thanks

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
Re: Automotive hardening?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2024, 06:18:58 am »
Yes, you're absolutely right, the automotive environment does require protection for exactly the reasons you suggest.

Here's an app note from TI that describes a number of industry standard tests that are carried out on automotive products. You may find it a useful starting point:

https://www.ti.com/lit/ug/tiduc41/tiduc41.pdf

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2024, 10:05:08 am »
dont forget humidity and vibrations

Offline MisterHeadache

• Contributor
    • Level UP EE Lab
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2024, 03:01:54 pm »
Most automotive OEM's write their own EMC/RFI/ESD requirements and restrict who has access to those specifications.  For example, General Motors has their standard GMW3097 (general specification for electrical/electronic components and subsystems, electromagnetic compatability).  It's 82 pages but also references many other ISO and other industry standards for details.  Those are not free, they each must be purchased.

So getting actual specs will require investment on your part.  If your project is just a hobby project, then you can likely find basic enough info from the app notes like AndyC_772 mentioned.

Do you need third party lab certification testing for your project?  If so, then that really gets costly. A new sensor EMC plan for example typically costs betwen $30k to $100k to be performed by certified US labs, depending on the quantity of tests and parts that the OEM requires be tested.
Daryn 'MisterHeadache'

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf