Electronics > Projects, Designs, and Technical Stuff

Availability of new Molex connector series

(1/2) > >>

Skerved:
Hi. I just want to see if someone has some more experience of how the connector market works. I have found a new connector series from Molex that I would like to try, Zero-Hachi: https://www.molex.com/en-us/products/connectors/wire-to-board-connectors/zero-hachi-connectors.

The problem for me is that the MOQ for the variants I want is 30 000 and 40 000 pcs on Digikey, Mouser etc, where I need perhaps 1000-5000 pcs per year. Of course, I also need samples. I have contacted Molex, but they just refer to their distributors, Digikey, Mouser etc. I have contacted Digikey, but have not got an answer in a few days. I also asked one of my regular supplier for electronic components, but he also referenced MOQ of 30k and 40k.

So I thought I might ask here. How does it normally work with relatively new connectors, specifically Molex, am I at the mercy of Digikey and the like?

tooki:
I don't have any concrete suggestion as far as MOQ, but the product page's FAQ contains this tidbit:

--- Quote ---Is the Zero-Hachi connector system compatible for use with market equivalents?
Yes, the Zero-Hachi connector is designed to be a drop-in-replacement for certain competing equivalents and is compatible for use with these. Please contact sales for more information.

--- End quote ---
So it's a clone of something else. Maybe that original product has better availability.

Skerved:

--- Quote from: tooki on February 29, 2024, 11:11:10 am ---So it's a clone of something else. Maybe that original product has better availability.

--- End quote ---

Thanks! I will try to find out what it is a clone of.

tooki:
It just occurred to me that the name could be a clue of the potential origin: thanks to Hachiko, the famously loyal Akita, I know that “hachi” means “eight” in Japanese.

(I was hoping there was some 08-series from Hirose, but no such luck.)

Someone:
Catalogues (particularly electro-mechanical parts) often have line items which have never been manufactured before. The huge MOQ is you paying for the minimum manufacturing batch.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version