Author Topic: basic soldering  (Read 2105 times)

Offline hpibmxTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
basic soldering
« on: December 06, 2021, 01:26:45 am »
Hi,

I've been trying to solder however some metals don't really accept the solder they just flow instead of attaching.

1 solution found was to scratch a bit of surface and somehow get attach.

may I know which solder I should use to make this easy?

I've got 63/37 and 60/40 as well. not worked without scratching the surface!

mostly I need to solder on battery plates like (18560) and iPhones battery.

Thank you.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: basic soldering
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2021, 01:33:20 am »
You probably need to add more flux (and perhaps a higher temperature). What temperature is your iron set to?

Get some extra flux which is widely available - either liquid or paste.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2021, 04:14:05 am »
Scratch the plating. The batteries are not typically solderable, they are designed for spot welding. Aggressive active flux might help as well.
Alex

Offline Hiemal

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2021, 05:04:27 am »
18650 cells are usually solderable, you just have to use a good amount of heat. Just be careful and don't overheat the cell.

Lipo cell tabs are generally NOT solderable. They seem to be either aluminum or some sort of stainless steel alloy that doesn't take to solder, no matter how much flux or heat is used. That's why they're typically spot welded onto something that IS solderable like a Nickle strip or something similar. Another different alternative is to use a bolt/nut combo to clamp down on the tabs and then solder onto that instead.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2021, 08:18:28 am »
You probably need to add more flux (and perhaps a higher temperature). What temperature is your iron set to?

Get some extra flux which is widely available - either liquid or paste.
I’ll give it try it’s usually set 350 degree or less.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2021, 08:21:10 am »
Scratch the plating. The batteries are not typically solderable, they are designed for spot welding. Aggressive active flux might help as well.
Thanks I’ll try another flex too

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2021, 08:27:31 am »
18650 cells are usually solderable, you just have to use a good amount of heat. Just be careful and don't overheat the cell.

Lipo cell tabs are generally NOT solderable. They seem to be either aluminum or some sort of stainless steel alloy that doesn't take to solder, no matter how much flux or heat is used. That's why they're typically spot welded onto something that IS solderable like a Nickle strip or something similar. Another different alternative is to use a bolt/nut combo to clamp down on the tabs and then solder onto that instead.

Agreed. 18650 seem to be solderable just need to add up my heat as I was cautious about that.
I found out about supper capacitors which is rated low voltage and high capacity. 2.7v 500f this would help me do spot welding. Of course I need to be extra cautious with that.

https://www.amazon.com/Capacitor-Suitable-Automotive-Rectifiers-Condenser/dp/B082FX71GR/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?keywords=supercapacitors&qid=1638779132&sr=8-4

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2021, 08:50:13 am »
Soldering to batteries is not recommended. If you absolutely must do it, make sure you use a big soldering iron tip, set hot, so that you can get the joint made fast. The last thing you want is for it to take 20 seconds to make the joint.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2021, 02:48:32 pm »
Soldering to batteries is not recommended. If you absolutely must do it, make sure you use a big soldering iron tip, set hot, so that you can get the joint made fast. The last thing you want is for it to take 20 seconds to make the joint.
Yes I really have to do it yes. Thank you for your advice.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2021, 08:09:40 pm »
The best results I have gotten were by using an emery wheel or tip to clean the surface.

The following users thanked this post: hpibmx

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2021, 03:46:01 am »
The best results I have gotten were by using an emery wheel or tip to clean the surface.
I agree that's the best result.

Offline CarlosGarcia

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2022, 04:22:56 pm »
use a little bit of phosphoric acid

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf