Author Topic: Castellated holes and high current battery pins  (Read 403 times)

Offline OwenHTopic starter

• Contributor
Castellated holes and high current battery pins
« on: October 04, 2022, 11:24:12 am »
Hi,

I'm working on a design with limited clearance from the edge of my power connection.  This is a DC 24v design that uses small 3mm banana pins to transfer power from a battery.  Peak current is about 20 amps (momentary) with the average current being slightly less than 10 amps. The banana pins screw into a receptacle that is built up into an electrical block made out of PEEK.  The electrical routing needs to make two 90 degree turns and make it to a spring pin target header. In addition to the two banana pins there are five spring pins for data connections, but I'm not very concerned about them, considering they don't carry significant current.  This whole assembly is mounted into an aluminium machined and anodised enclosure. 

The issue is that there is very limited clearance between the solder cup on the banana pin and the enclosure.  The routing needs to make the two 90 degree turns very close to the receptacle and this limits my ability to directly solder and bend the wires.  Hopefully the screen grabs help to illustrate the design.

My thought was that maybe I could use a small PCB with castellated holes to make the 90 degree bend and then just solder wires from the PCB to get to the spring pin target header. The PCB would be screwed to the back of the PEEK connector block for additional support (the screw isn't shown in the screen grab). Not sure how good of an idea this is with high current, but I would be able to use at least 2oz copper on both the top and bottom layers.  Does anyone have any experience with using a castellated hole to mount a pin? Could this be reliable?

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
Re: Castellated holes and high current battery pins
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2022, 01:07:14 pm »
Doesn't look very mechanically robust to me. It looks like you can get wires into the ends if you bend the wires before soldering.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf