Author Topic: Charging 2S li-ion batteries using TP5100 to lower voltage  (Read 228 times)

Offline Sulfate9859Topic starter

Charging 2S li-ion batteries using TP5100 to lower voltage
« on: March 18, 2024, 02:46:19 pm »
Hello, I have a TP5100 charger and want to charge a 2S battery pack to lower voltage to extend the lifespan of the batteries.
I've seen some people on this forum suggest adding a schottky diode in series with the charger to introduce a voltage drop in the charging voltage thus lowering the voltage among the batteries. I'm wondering if that would work since I don't understand how would the charger be able to sense the battery voltage if there is a diode in the path? Thanks for the help.

Here is the schematic of how I would wire it all up (there's also under-voltage protection before the load):
EDIT: I just noticed I drew some wires wrong, fixed now
« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 02:54:39 pm by Sulfate9859 »

Online tunk

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Charging 2S li-ion batteries using TP5100 to lower voltage
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2024, 05:29:09 pm »
I guess it doesn't sense the battery voltage, only the output
voltage from the TP5100. Also, the balancer may not work
with this setup.

The following users thanked this post: Sulfate9859

Offline Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2024, 07:35:48 pm »
Diode is indeed not a good idea. Instead, use another charger IC, one with lower charge voltage option available; or one without internal feedback resistor network (so that it requires two external resistors to configure the output voltage); or one with digital control interface.

The following users thanked this post: Sulfate9859

Offline Sulfate9859Topic starter

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2024, 08:14:09 am »
Diode is indeed not a good idea. Instead, use another charger IC, one with lower charge voltage option available; or one without internal feedback resistor network (so that it requires two external resistors to configure the output voltage); or one with digital control interface.

Thanks, I just ended up charging it to the full voltage to avoid problems... But If I wanted to redo it in the future, which charging chip/board would you suggest me to use?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf