Author Topic: Code for Short Range Radar Arduino Project  (Read 1178 times)

Offline nmooreTopic starter

Code for Short Range Radar Arduino Project
« on: February 08, 2024, 02:40:48 pm »
I am starting to work on a short range radar project using the RCWL-0516 module. I can connect it to an Arduino and see the led light up when it detects motion (my hand for example). What I want to do is add a OLED I2C IIC Display Module that shows how far an object is.

I am not finding anything that I can go off of and I am still learning how to do basic coding with Arduino. I know that math needed to find distance but not sure how to program it and for this module. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. 

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
Re: Code for Short Range Radar Arduino Project
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2024, 10:39:25 am »
What I want to do is add a OLED I2C IIC Display Module that shows how far an object is.

This isn't really possible, the RCWL-9196 is a doppler RADAR device that measures the speed of an object by comparing the outgoing frequency with the received frequency.  It does this by mixing the two signals and measuring the difference frequency.  This doesn't give any indication of distance, only speed.  There is a pin on the IC that has a voltage proportional to the difference frequency, you could connect this to an ADC input on your Arduino and display the value on the OLED but it doesn't seem very useful.

This website has plenty of detail:
https://www.rogerclark.net/investigating-a-rcwl-9196-rcwl-0516-radar-motion-detector-modules/

Offline nmooreTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2024, 04:23:06 pm »
This isn't really possible, the RCWL-9196 is a doppler RADAR device that measures the speed of an object by comparing the outgoing frequency with the received frequency. 

Thank you. That explains it. Do you know of any other small radar modules that will give me the output that doesn't use doppler?

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2024, 06:00:23 pm »
The Acconeer modules are the only small and inexpensive ones I know of.  OmniPreSense also make a couple of distancing sensing products, though quite a bit more expensive.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf