Author Topic: Comparator with delayed output  (Read 812 times)

Offline 84750ErikTopic starter

• Contributor
    • My Safety
Comparator with delayed output
« on: January 20, 2022, 03:55:53 am »
Purpose of this design: detect light variation at low intervals (>1 second, up to minutes).

The detection works independent of ambient light.
What I do need is a delay on the output when LDR is uncovered, ie when the voltage on the non-inverting input recovers to a high level.

The left design uses two comparators and works well. I would however like to reduce this to a design with one comparator only, if possible.

I am in a bind how to introduce a delay circuit for the voltage on pin 9 (non-inverting): voltage going up on that pin needs to be delayed.

Online moffy

• Super Contributor
Re: Comparator with delayed output
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 11:23:18 pm »
I would keep the delay as a separate function just as you have it. All I would alter is:
1. Add some hysteresis around the detection comparator.
2. Increase the values of R1, R4 to conserve some current, also makes the hysteresis easier.
3. Why is R7, 300k, seems high?

Offline Terry Bites

• Super Contributor
  • Recovering Electrical Engineer
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 06:32:43 pm »
A capacitor from the comparator input to ground will slow the response time. As pointed out, you need to apply hysterisis on all of the comparators or you will have problems.

Online moffy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 11:23:02 pm »
Yes hysteresis, as you suggested Terry Bites, should be applied to all the comparators. The delay unfortunately is asymmetrical because of the NPN open collector nature of the comparator output. So moving the cap to the input would delay both +ve to -ve and -ve to +ve transitions.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf