Author Topic: Components you wish existed.  (Read 60456 times)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: Components you wish existed.
« Reply #100 on: May 19, 2017, 07:07:43 pm »
You are correct, the reported 700watts I saw was for 1h and 25min, not 1 hour. 

Still something very wrong about that figure. That's a higher power output figure for a longer period, which common sense (and your aching legs) tells you is not the way that human endurance works. I think someone's quoted you figures for peak power output during a 1h 25m race, which I can believe, for an all out sprint in the final 200 metres of a race.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101 on: May 19, 2017, 07:20:20 pm »
It was a fusion device, not fission. The name on the side of the unit said "Mister Fusion". 
That was the version of the car that came back from 2015. The 1985 version ran on plutonium: that's why Doc had to make a bargain with the terrorists!

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102 on: May 19, 2017, 08:31:55 pm »
You are correct, the reported 700watts I saw was for 1h and 25min, not 1 hour. 

Still something very wrong about that figure. That's a higher power output figure for a longer period, which common sense (and your aching legs) tells you is not the way that human endurance works. I think someone's quoted you figures for peak power output during a 1h 25m race, which I can believe, for an all out sprint in the final 200 metres of a race.
Hmmmm, that would be average 495watts/hour at an hour and 25 minutes, measured with Powertap P1 Powermeter Pedals which have a +/- 2% error rating.  I'm going to have to find the original supplied log posting as I am nowhere near this figure (my record when my back was better was 225 watts at 1h, 40min, however, that was surplus wattage measured coming from a treadmill motor linked to a stationary exercise bike by a rubber belt as a generator & halogen lamps as a load).  I know sustaining a perfect 408 watts for 1 hour straight is considered a typical minimum capability for TDF grade racers.

NOTE: This is an old image before the control board circuitry and PC control logging, but, you get the idea...
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 08:39:11 pm by BrianHG »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103 on: May 19, 2017, 09:23:45 pm »

Hmmmm, that would be average 495watts/hour at an hour and 25 minutes, ...

There's your problem. I don't think you understand what Watts are, which I'd kind of assumed you did given where you're posting, which consequently is why this was getting so confusing. 

Watts are the rate of expenditure of energy, also known as power; Watts = Joules per second, so Watts/hour is a meaningless unit (in this context). Watts are a measure of instantaneous energy expenditure, they don't accumulate over time, which seems to be your understanding from your roughly equating 700W over 1h 25m with 500W over 1h. A power of 700W expended over 1h 25m is a total energy expenditure of 3.57 megajoules, 500W over 1h is 1.8 MJ.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: PointyOintment

Offline PointyOintment

• Frequent Contributor
  • ↑ I scanned my face
« Reply #104 on: May 22, 2017, 12:05:53 am »
I was going to say a composite video ADC, but there are many. For some reason, last time I looked, it seemed there was only a single such device on the market (which I could hardly believe, but I couldn't find any others).
I refuse to use AD's LTspice or any other "free" software whose license agreement prohibits benchmarking it (which implies it's really bad) or publicly disclosing the existence of the agreement. Fortunately, I haven't agreed to that one, and those terms are public already.

Offline PointyOintment

• Frequent Contributor
  • ↑ I scanned my face
« Reply #105 on: May 22, 2017, 02:09:16 am »
VCCap = voltage controlled capacitance

I'll give you something even better: Digi-Key -> ICs -> Specialized ICs -> Type column: Digital Capacitor. Unfortunately the IXYS datasheets are secret and all of the other manufacturers' parts are obsolete.

There's also an Electronically Trimmable Capacitor entry, though I didn't look at those.

(edited because the forum doesn't support Unicode |O)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 02:18:26 am by PointyOintment »
I refuse to use AD's LTspice or any other "free" software whose license agreement prohibits benchmarking it (which implies it's really bad) or publicly disclosing the existence of the agreement. Fortunately, I haven't agreed to that one, and those terms are public already.

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106 on: May 22, 2017, 03:05:07 am »
Self aware MCU.

Offline David Chamberlain

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #107 on: May 22, 2017, 05:30:51 pm »
I'll put a second vote in for a cpld or self booting fpga with on board flash with lower pin count then what is available. Lots of glue logic and other simple stuff could be done with a device with 16 io but more cells. I guess that kind of product only interests hoists like me.

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: May 22, 2017, 05:38:46 pm »
A random number generator which matches the results of the next lottery draw here in Canada.

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109 on: May 23, 2017, 12:38:06 am »
A fully complementary pair for the 6L6 vacuum tube.  ;D

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110 on: May 23, 2017, 12:52:52 am »
And while we are at it, a ferrite power material with Bsat of 1.5 Tesla, and usable to at least 100Khz.

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111 on: May 23, 2017, 12:56:39 am »
I wouldn't want to be within a couple of hundred miles of a compliment to a 6L6 tube - if the envelope cracks and air gets at the antimatter electrodes, it will make the Hiroshima bomb look like a firecracker.

Offline NivagSwerdna

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112 on: May 23, 2017, 10:08:14 am »
here's hoping

A reasonably priced portable multimeter (capable of uA measurement) that contains an inbuilt datalogger for subsequent analysis.

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113 on: May 23, 2017, 12:27:09 pm »
I wouldn't want to be within a couple of hundred miles of a compliment to a 6L6 tube - if the envelope cracks and air gets at the antimatter electrodes, it will make the Hiroshima bomb look like a firecracker.
What's wrong with "hello 6L6, you're looking smart today!"?
A full complement may well be dangerous, as you say.

The following users thanked this post: PointyOintment

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #114 on: May 23, 2017, 01:14:27 pm »
A reasonably priced portable multimeter (capable of uA measurement) that contains an inbuilt datalogger for subsequent analysis.
Fluke 289? Depends on your definition of 'reasonably priced', I guess. Mine cost much less than the value of the job I needed it for, so it definitely met that criterion.

Offline NivagSwerdna

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115 on: May 23, 2017, 02:22:53 pm »
Fluke 289? Depends on your definition of 'reasonably priced', I guess. Mine cost much less than the value of the job I needed it for, so it definitely met that criterion.
That looks nice, but expensive by my definition of reasonably priced... but I concede my definition won't apply to all.  <£300 is my definition.

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #116 on: May 23, 2017, 03:05:40 pm »
1. A variety of monolithic matched transistor arrays.
2. Monolithic cross coupled quads - these are used for when you need real precision.
3. LCC and PLCC (J-*leaded*) parts including microcontrollers, programmable logic, and memory - these can be surface mounted or placed in sockets for through hole designs.
4. CdS cells - Is there really a problem with hermetically sealed CdS?

Offline e100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #117 on: May 23, 2017, 03:28:50 pm »
Multimeter with a voice output so you don't have to look at the display.
Alternatively a multimeter with a remote display like the one on the "Google glass" glasses.

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118 on: May 23, 2017, 04:21:18 pm »
You know, this is actually a pretty good idea.

With the freakingly small components, in which one struggles to exactly position a needle pointed probe into whatever is exposed in a leadless component, I have had someone helping me reading out out loud the DMM readings.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119 on: May 23, 2017, 05:41:22 pm »
Alternatively a multimeter with a remote display like the one on the "Google glass" glasses.

Wouldn't be difficult to create, plenty of meters out there with data outputs...

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120 on: May 24, 2017, 12:17:59 am »
Not a component but a DSO that has similar screen resolution to a good tablet and a 16, or dare I say, a 24 bit D/A.  No, I don't need one, I just want one. Today's DSO screens are the equivalent of old timey CGA screens, like looking at the world through flywire.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 12:20:56 am by Circlotron »

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #121 on: May 24, 2017, 12:41:52 am »
Any multimeter that has a serial out should be easy to hook up to a text to speech app.

You just need some way to tell it when to sample, voice would be best.
I'm surprised that none of the handheld meters have that, it sounds as if it would likely be easy to implement.

Similarly with the AVR Transistor tester. It would be cool to have it be able to tell you verbally what the component was.

Quote from: CJay on Today at 11:41:22>Quote from: e100 on Today at 09:28:50

Wouldn't be difficult to create, plenty of meters out there with data outputs...
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122 on: May 24, 2017, 03:59:24 am »
My Tandy/Radio Shack MICRONTA meter from the 1980/90s? had a voice synth for reading out the values via special probes with a voice switch to activate it (similar to the Fluke 1507/1587 switch probes)

Worked great till the crappy cable with microscopic breakable wires died,
I tried to bodge it to work, and gave up  |O  as I just got a Fluke 87 and 8060A and was busy playing with those :-DMM :-DMM and forgot about the Tandy meter lol.   

It wasn't a bad meter either, had glass -NRC- fuse fitted (lol)  and did work with standard multimeter leads.

I'm a bit more electro savvy nowadays, if it surfaces I will diagnose and repair the sucker and get it talking again   :-/O  :blah: :blah: :blah:

------------------------

UPDATE EDIT: EEVblog member a few posts further down has located a video with the exact meter I mentioned, thanks    :-+

« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 12:06:32 am by Electro Detective »

Offline e100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #123 on: May 24, 2017, 04:03:28 am »
Regarding voice output for multimeters, is there enough physical/electrical/data commonality between multimeter data outputs to be able to make a generic product, or would it need to be customised for each model? My Bryman multimeter has an optical interface but I don't know how common or interchangeable this is.

Kickstarter anyone? I would buy one for sure.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124 on: May 24, 2017, 07:15:56 am »
Any multimeter that has a serial out should be easy to hook up to a text to speech app.

You just need some way to tell it when to sample, voice would be best.
I'm surprised that none of the handheld meters have that, it sounds as if it would likely be easy to implement.

Depends how you use the meter, if it's got a hold mode then the changing data can trigger it, if you don't want hold mode then some kind of 'RF' button, just a pulse of 433MHz or even one of those dodgy little 'selfie' buttons on the probe, plenty of options to explore

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf