Author Topic: Components you wish existed.  (Read 60455 times)

Offline ikrase

• Regular Contributor
Re: Components you wish existed.
« Reply #200 on: January 02, 2018, 06:00:56 am »
- Plated through hole edge connector proto board for an economical price. (I may just end up having this manufactured. Vectorboard Plugbords cost at least 25 dollars each, but the cheapest fabs I know of will make them in quantity 100 for under 5 dollars a board, I think.)

- Cheap tightly regulated 24 volt DC/DC supplies with 10 kV isolation. Something with some of those features exists, just not all of them. Have actually ended up deciding to buy stacks of cheap DIN rail supplies, which have 3 kV isolation, instead. May end up going to 60 Hertz Hell.

- <10 femtoampere leakage current gas discharge tube voltage limiters

- 1 kilovolt high speed (but stable at unity gain and DC) op-amps.

- Actually good high-current-output op-amps

- Cortex M4F microcontroller, in DIP package, with built in USB and JTAG, and with minimal GPIO but a high-speed/high-bandwidth/moderate-distance bus (multiple lines of high-speed RS485 maybe?), and the ability to connect to arbitrary IO modules also in DIP package (UART, SPI ,I2C, GPIO, 8-bit sub-processor, small patch of FPGA fabric, etc).  Kinda like a modular PLC, but for much lower-level software and hardware.

- Single chip, non-tiny-package, military temperature range multi-cell complete Li-ion charger/controller unit that handles the complete combo of: Cell protection, high speed charging, trickle (solar) charging, gas gauging, and output disconnect. I am amazed that Sparkfun does not sell any such device.

- Automagical tri-state bidirectional output buffer / input limiter / level shifter / isolator pack.

- Lithium battery packs with similar market penetration to the AA battery

- A truly rail-to-rail op-amp (maybe with internal charge pump...)

- Spray-on IP65 Rating for switches and connectors

- Ceramic or PEEK UHV compatible Mini DIN connectors. (Something similar does exist, the "Sub-C" connector, but very expensive, overly complicated w/ crimp pins, and rather bulky.)

- Peltier modules with efficiency befitting a solid-state device.

- MLC protoboard

- A material that has the consistency of modelling clay when supplied but hardens into a polymer with temperature and outgassing properties similar to PEEK. (I made something like this by mixing Loctite/Hysol 1C epoxy with powdered plaster-like ceramic potting compound. It kinda worked.)

- Room Temperature Vulcanizing Viton rubber

- Paint-on / Dip-on Thermionic Cathode Coating. I know that something approaching this existed in the heyday of vacuum tubes, but supposedly it didn't work very well.

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #201 on: January 02, 2018, 07:15:08 am »
tidu018 < at least for the GND side.

As for your other opamps, check out apexanalog's PWM opamps for high current, but is costs big $.

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #202 on: January 02, 2018, 07:53:05 am »

OPA365
I stand corrected...  My listed tidu018 is a reference design app note for the OPA365....  However, to achieve the true-GND with the OPA365, you need a pull-down resistor.  So, the device still gets soooo close....

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #203 on: January 03, 2018, 12:00:01 am »
- Plated through hole edge...
...supposedly it didn't work very well.

You forgot "a pony", and "the moon on a stick".  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Online forrestc

• Supporter
« Reply #204 on: January 04, 2018, 06:20:39 am »

OPA365

LTC1152 perhaps?  From the datasheet: "the input CMR actually extends beyond either rail by about 0.3V".   The output seems to be fairly high impedance though...   

I know there's quite a few opamps out there using various versions of this design.   Personally, I find that rail-to-rail inputs aren't all that necessary anymore since I'm mostly using opamps as buffers for ADC's, and I can pretty much always use an inverting topology which essentially eliminates the need for rail-to-rail inputs.   Rail-to-rail outputs are much more critical since most ADC's measure from ground to Vref.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf